Death Star II: Emperor's Throne Room

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Death Star II: Emperor's Throne Room

Post by Teancum »

So I'm curious, what if anything did you have to cut back on to make it work the traditional way?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Teancum wrote:So I'm curious, what if anything did you have to cut back on to make it work the traditional way?
Nothing, believe it or not. My process for the level wasn't as optimized as it could have been, so it went like this:
-Model out map (100+K tris)
-Make work in-game (figure out way to make work ingame)
-Optimize models (reduced to 50-60k tris)
-Implement solution designed for higher poly map

It was only after I realized that this solution wouldn't work in MP that I went ahead and, on a lark, decided to try out the map in the "normal" way. It worked fine. I may either have been wrong in the first place about the detail level or I simply got lucky - the bottom line is that I wasn't following the art doc's guidelines, so I'll take it either way it came.

I also learned that shadowvolumes can really get up there in size without (maybe) affecting the visibly rendered models. In addition to the visible models (all the limits mentioned above), the shadowvolumes for this map are easily in excess of 20k tris - all from the detail of the window shadows.
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

even though shadowvolumes dont make objects flicker more, they really suck performance, once you get over like 10-20 shadowvolumes in view, the fps drop.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

DarthD.U.C.K. wrote:even though shadowvolumes dont make objects flicker more, they really suck performance, once you get over like 10-20 shadowvolumes in view, the fps drop.
I doubt it is number so much as it is detail (as with anything). There are four shadowvolumes total on this map but they're high detail (they use the original modeled meshes for the windows). I don't see an FPS drop here, so it's hard to judge, but I know that single shadowvolumes can be performance hogs even if they're only one mesh.
commandoCC-9811
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Games I'm Playing :: Games. Mostly games.

Post by commandoCC-9811 »

I LOVE this map!
I just want to say two things, on on what I thought was missing, and one that I would have liked to have seen:

The mini-map was non-existant (don't know if that's on purpose or not)
And, in the windows, I would have liked a more "exciting" view, like more towers and turrets and other parts on the death star and maybe you could have two local sides that were fighting each other outside the death star in starfighters, just to make a really cool view.
CalvaryCptMike
Captain
Captain
Projects :: Nothing--absolutely nothing

Post by CalvaryCptMike »

This reminded me SSSOOOooo much of the emperor's throne room in Lego Star Wars. :P

Great job Mav. :greeny:
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

CalvaryCptMike wrote:This reminded me SSSOOOooo much of the emperor's throne room in Lego Star Wars. :P

Great job Mav. :greeny:

I Concur :plokoon:

The noth had pretty much the same stuff, even the back room for the gaurds. I love SWBF2, And LSW saga :D
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

commandoCC-9811 wrote:The mini-map was non-existant (don't know if that's on purpose or not)
And, in the windows, I would have liked a more "exciting" view, like more towers and turrets and other parts on the death star and maybe you could have two local sides that were fighting each other outside the death star in starfighters, just to make a really cool view.
The minimap is nonexistent on purpose; you can see almost all of the map from any point on it. The outside isn't any busier because the outside in the movie is even less busy than I made it for this map.
CalvaryCptMike
Captain
Captain
Projects :: Nothing--absolutely nothing

Post by CalvaryCptMike »

DUDE!!! :eek:

Awesome map if I ever saw one!!! :thumbs: Played it for a while and loved it.
I did find a small glitch where you can jump through the ceiling but can't get back in.
Also I figured out how to throw the emperor down the shaft and it was AWESOME!!! :runaway:
Good job.