The Big "L" (Rebel Ops Mission 02)

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Re: The Big "L" (Rebel Ops Mission 02)

Post by Nihillo »

Well, after some pratice, beating story mode is somewhat easy (easier than Aquilaris, that's for sure). I played it four times during the beta and in the fourth time I tried, I managed to do it with little to no losses at all. So that's what you need, just some practice. :P

You have done a great job Maveritchell, The Big "L" is a very interesting and fun map; something that doesn't surprise me, since you are well known for always providing high-quality gameplay.

Many thanks for the release.
sampip
General
General
Projects :: Something big. And exciting.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefield 3
xbox live or psn: masowner66

Post by sampip »

wow! its an amazing map, fantastic work!
i seem to be stuck already on the first part. how do you get across to the section where the fans are. there don't seem to be any grappling hooks or makeable jumps to get over to the fans.
Xavious
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Xavious »

sampip wrote:wow! its an amazing map, fantastic work!
i seem to be stuck already on the first part. how do you get across to the section where the fans are. there don't seem to be any grappling hooks or makeable jumps to get over to the fans.
Try looking up.
masterfaa
Lance Corporal
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by masterfaa »

501st_commander wrote: mission 2? is there a mission 1?
Yes there is.
Aquilaris: Deep Sea

http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... n_01;95549
Commander_Fett
High General
High General

Post by Commander_Fett »

Well, this map (at least as far as I got) was great.
Hidden/Spoiler:
the only trouble I really had was the fans, that last pressure platform in the row, and flying the ship. I lost 7 lives at that and havn't been able to get there again. even though I didn't run into the green steam or whatever, I still took lots of damage at those parts.
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

Hidden/Spoiler:
only the flying into the pipe was hard, i beat all the obstacleson first try
are some of them possible inspired by SotE?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

DarthD.U.C.K. wrote:only one suggestion: you could bump andor specmap the stones etc then it would look even more awesome
The rocks are bumpmapped, you can tell when light flashes off of them (i.e. the grapple gun "clang") or where I placed light sources (lights in caves). There's low lighting otherwise, and no directional lights, so it's hard to notice.

Just to clarify for anyone wondering exactly what the inspirations are - and there are lots of games that use these setups, these just happen to be the ones I remembered clearly - Zelda and Mario both inspired the first section (a lot of the puzzles are recreations of some that I remember from either of those games, obviously dressed up differently. Zelda (specifically) but also Metal Gear inspired the second section, and the third is inspired by Rebel Assault II (from which I took many visual cues; those familiar with the game might see some near-recreations of certain props).

There are some small Easter eggs paying homage to those games; the one-up hearts use a Zelda design with a Mario jingle, your comm headpiece has a recreation of the Metal Gear codec sound, and whenever an enemy spots you in the stealth section, they get an exclamation point (!) above their head.

There's also one other Easter egg which you can see in any mode. Has anyone found it?
Xavious
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Xavious »

Maveritchell wrote:There's also one other Easter egg which you can see in any mode. Has anyone found it?
Hidden/Spoiler:
Do you mean the opening crawl of A New Hope on one of the computers? If so, then yes. :P
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Xavious wrote:
Maveritchell wrote:There's also one other Easter egg which you can see in any mode. Has anyone found it?
Hidden/Spoiler:
Do you mean the opening crawl of A New Hope on one of the computers? If so, then yes. :P
Oh, that? Yes, it was neat but it is easily noticeable.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Xavious wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Ha yes, good. That was fun to set up, the texture was 8*4096. I also found out that Battlefront will not accept textures with dimensions in powers of two greater than 4096 (I wanted it to be 16*8192).
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

Hidden/Spoiler:
i just wanted to ask how you got this long text to scroll :P
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

DarthD.U.C.K. wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
i just wanted to ask how you got this long text to scroll :P
The same way you get anything else to. :P
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

Xavious wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I thought it was a nice touch. :)
obiboba3po
2008 Most Technically Challenging Avatar
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends

Post by obiboba3po »

I died halfway through but i could still tell this was an extremely well-put-together map, and a pioneering step in modding also. Pretty awesome to think that GT churns out all these one-of-a-kind mods. great job mav
Taivyx
2008 Best Games Related Avatar
Projects :: Terra Strife - discontinued
Games I'm Playing :: none

Post by Taivyx »

Maveritchell wrote:.........your comm headpiece has a recreation of the Metal Gear codec sound, and whenever an enemy spots you in the stealth section, they get an exclamation point (!) above their head.
Heh, I knew the comm sound was familiar, then I saw the exclamation mark and I was like, "Oh! MGS!"
Null_1138
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Null_1138 »

Whoo! Downloading it now, and will post later.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

masterfaa wrote:it took me 42 minutes to compleate.It was awsome.One thing,at the end,when you win,In the status it shows your name on the rebel side and Darth Vader on the enemy side.I didnt see Vader anywhere.All in all this was an aswome story,hope the next one will be even better.
It shows Darth Vader at the end because I assigned him as the only unit for Team 2 for kicks and giggles. There are actually zero bots throughout the course of the story; you are the only unit on the whole map.
Null_1138
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Null_1138 »

Wow. This was one of the most frustrating maps I've ever played. But
Hidden/Spoiler:
Haha, I knew it was the Lusankya!
Hidden/Spoiler:
and does this mean that Erisi Dlaret was the traitor inserted from Project Drow?
Anyway, I can't wait for Bakura. Mostly because I'll see terrain again :wink: .

EDIT: I wasted 42 lives on this map. That's the ultimate question to the answer to life, the universe, and everything! Lol.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

Maveritchell wrote:
masterfaa wrote:it took me 42 minutes to compleate.It was awsome.One thing,at the end,when you win,In the status it shows your name on the rebel side and Darth Vader on the enemy side.I didnt see Vader anywhere.All in all this was an aswome story,hope the next one will be even better.
It shows Darth Vader at the end because I assigned him as the only unit for Team 2 for kicks and giggles. There are actually zero bots throughout the course of the story; you are the only unit on the whole map.
So that's how you get the units that just stand still - props? I always assumed they were normal units with all their movement values set to zero or something like that. Come to think of it, I guess I never saw health bars or anything when looking at the people in this mission (although if I remember correctly, the ones in Aquilaris were normal units, correct?).
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Eggman wrote:
Maveritchell wrote:
So that's how you get the units that just stand still - props? I always assumed they were normal units with all their movement values set to zero or something like that. Come to think of it, I guess I never saw health bars or anything when looking at the people in this mission (although if I remember correctly, the ones in Aquilaris were normal units, correct?).
Yes, I do either one; in this case it was better for the level to just use props, because I didn't plan on having them move later on (unlike Aquilaris, where they were units, and did move later on).