The Big "L" (Rebel Ops Mission 02)

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

H_BOMB
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set
Location: That little box. You know, kinda toward the left side of the screen...

Re: The Big "L" (Rebel Ops Mission 02)

Post by H_BOMB »

Nihillo wrote:
Maveritchell wrote:
H_BOMB wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I also experienced a problem. For some reason, I could not enter the turret heating control station thing. I kept trying using acces but it never worked. I'll try again.
You can only enter exactly when you need to; and you have to have listened to Ben's message before you get in.
Actually, I think he can't access it because he is using the access "weapon" instead of pressing the use key.

Yep, that was it. Oops.
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

Anyone ever told you you're REALLY bad at sarcasm? :lol:
EDIT: Wow... that was aimed at Nova at the bottom of page 1... I didn't realize there were more pages so I assumed it would be direct.. oops. :cpu:
Last edited by GangsterJawa on Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

That was amazing... makes me want to learn XSI.
Dom380
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Post by Dom380 »

Maveritchell wrote:
Dom380 wrote:its stupid you have made the ending to hard
What would have been stupid would have been making it too easy. It is completely possible, and once you get the hang of flying (in either first or third person, both are fine), it's actually pretty easy. If you are expecting it to be easy the first time around, you are barking up the wrong tree. I want the user to feel like they've accomplished something when they win.
I know what you mean but that was my third or forth try after dieing to much and starting over again
Commander_Fett
High General
High General

Post by Commander_Fett »

Ping wrote:
Nihillo wrote:
Ping wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Grr...This is an awesome map you made, Mav, but I found the final fan to be quite a nuisance, and only got past it once since I got lucky. I also couldn't get past the falling platforms, as there wasn't enough time to reposition yourself to make the final jump from the last falling platform. Any help?
Hidden/Spoiler:
Look up for a glowing delight. It's easier from there.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Tried it with the fans, and I was too far away for it to work.
Hidden/Spoiler:
not for the fans, for the pressure platforms.
H_BOMB
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Location: That little box. You know, kinda toward the left side of the screen...

Post by H_BOMB »

YAY! I beat it. It was pretty awesome. Can't wait for the next one.
Hidden/Spoiler:
I have a feeling the next one, Bakura Assault will have lots of starfighter combat. Goodie!
kooster
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Location: Blowing up droids into scrap metal with my Almighty-Ultimate-Mega Projectile Launcher

Post by kooster »

Mav, this is awesome!
Everything is great!
The campaign on this map was so much better than the Aquiralis one.
It's mostly straightfoward and you know what to do.
The Aquiralis one was not that difficult but time consuming
because you had to keep going around and around to find what
your looking for. I guess some people like this better though.
The map itself was also great! No flaws that i can see.

I am awaiting for your 3rd and last addition to the trilogy...
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

Commander_Fett wrote:
Ping wrote:
Nihillo wrote:
Ping wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Grr...This is an awesome map you made, Mav, but I found the final fan to be quite a nuisance, and only got past it once since I got lucky. I also couldn't get past the falling platforms, as there wasn't enough time to reposition yourself to make the final jump from the last falling platform. Any help?
Hidden/Spoiler:
Look up for a glowing delight. It's easier from there.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Tried it with the fans, and I was too far away for it to work.
Hidden/Spoiler:
not for the fans, for the pressure platforms.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Ah, sorry. But if you're referring to the grappling point that brings you to the rafters above the falling platforms, even with the help of that, I can't seem to make it across. Oh well, guess I'll just need to get lucky.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Ping wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Ah, sorry. But if you're referring to the grappling point that brings you to the rafters above the falling platforms, even with the help of that, I can't seem to make it across. Oh well, guess I'll just need to get lucky.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Go to the highest beam you can reach, you should be able to jump down through a space between it and the third one, there is a platform directly below; you must be facing the catwalk when you are jumping down, after landing, immediately run(hold down the sprint key) towards the next platform and jump, don't stop, keep running and jumping. On the last platform you have to be literally at the edge to reach the catwalk, you won't make it if you jump too early.
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

Nihillo wrote:
Ping wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Go to the highest beam you can reach, you should be able to jump down through a space between it and the third one, there is a platform directly below; you must be facing the catwalk when you are jumping down, after landing, immediately run(hold down the sprint key) towards the next platform and jump, don't stop, keep running and jumping. On the last platform you have to be literally at the edge to reach the catwalk, you won't make it if you jump too early.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Ah, thanks. I had been doing everything you had said except for sprinting. Thanks a bunch!
Devastator77
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Location: Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy...

Post by Devastator77 »

Wow. Just wow. That was the most well-constructed, challenging, engaging campaign ever made for the battlefront series. The custom music fit the map perfectly. It easily beats Aquilarius IMO.
Hidden/Spoiler:
The pressure pads and probe droids were initially difficult, but once I practiced, I managed to get by all the obstacles (up to the flying part) with only 6 lives lost. The flying course at the end I thought was irritating and overdone (I lost 23 lives), but it made victory all the more sweeter. I know you've already made a "Space Battle above Endor" map, which was very well-done, However the end flight sequence of The Big L reminded me alot of the interior of the Second Death Star. I know Bakura is next on your list, but just an idea: a nice, straightforward space mission, with the Falcon (or Wedge's X-Wing) traveling through the inner workings of the Death Star 2, attempting to knock out the main reactor, while evading tie fighters, obstacles, fire, explosions, etc.
Null_1138
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Null_1138 »

Devastator77 wrote:Wow. Just wow. That was the most well-constructed, challenging, engaging campaign ever made for the battlefront series. The custom music fit the map perfectly. It easily beats Aquilarius IMO.
Hidden/Spoiler:
The pressure pads and probe droids were initially difficult, but once I practiced, I managed to get by all the obstacles (up to the flying part) with only 6 lives lost. The flying course at the end I thought was irritating and overdone (I lost 23 lives), but it made victory all the more sweeter. I know you've already made a "Space Battle above Endor" map, which was very well-done, However the end flight sequence of The Big L reminded me alot of the interior of the Second Death Star. I know Bakura is next on your list, but just an idea: a nice, straightforward space mission, with the Falcon (or Wedge's X-Wing) traveling through the inner workings of the Death Star 2, attempting to knock out the main reactor, while evading tie fighters, obstacles, fire, explosions, etc.
Hidden/Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure in Bakura you're gonna get some space missions :wink: .
Devastator77
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Location: Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy...

Post by Devastator77 »

Null_1138 wrote:
Devastator77 wrote:Wow. Just wow. That was the most well-constructed, challenging, engaging campaign ever made for the battlefront series. The custom music fit the map perfectly. It easily beats Aquilarius IMO.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure in Bakura you're gonna get some space missions :wink: .
Hidden/Spoiler:
:) Yes, I know what the next map will probably entail; it was just an idea that would follow along with Mav's previously released Endor space map and the whole Rebel campaign series.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

Nihillo wrote:
Maveritchell wrote:
H_BOMB wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I also experienced a problem. For some reason, I could not enter the turret heating control station thing. I kept trying using acces but it never worked. I'll try again.
You can only enter exactly when you need to; and you have to have listened to Ben's message before you get in.
Actually, I think he can't access it because he is using the access "weapon" instead of pressing the use key.
I actually did the exact same thing.

I kept trying to use the access weapon and couldn't get in the turret that way and though I must be doing something wrong, then after ten minutes I finally realized, "wait...it's a turret...so I should be pressing the normal 'enter/use' button...silly me" :P .
Par3210
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Par3210 »

However hard I try, I can't get across the platforms at the start. :( can someone help?
Bantha55
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Bantha55 »

My feedback: It´s a beautiful map with many good ideas for objectives. Like Aquirilis it´s perfectly worked out but in comparison to it it´s much more difficult. The fans are really hard and the falling platforms, too. The probe droid objective can be managed but it´s as good as impossible to fly through the tube with all the rotating ventilators and stuff. If the ship could stop in the air it was much easier (like the submarine in Aquirilis). It´s very frustrating when you have played through the mission but can´t finish the last (?) objective.
jangoisbaddest
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by jangoisbaddest »

Wow. Nearly everyone is complaining about the difficulty. And yes, the flying section is very difficult. But doesn't it give you a sense of accomplishment when you actually beat it? It sure did me.

I lost all but two lives before I even got to the flying section the first time I played, and promptly lost those as well. The second time I played through, I got to the flying section with 14 lives to spare, and beat the level with 4. All it takes is a little bit of practice, patience, and memorization.

There were only a couple of really tricky spots, and I suppose I'll list my own solutions to them for those who are stuck.
Hidden/Spoiler:
The first one I really had trouble with was the last fan. I only had trouble with it until I knew what do do with it. All you have to do is run diagonally, so that the airflow pushes you down the catwalk instead of off of it.

The second was the first pressure platform section (one right after the other). The last pad in that series ate three or four of my lives in the first playthrough. The trick is to land back a bit, and start running before you jump. You have to do this quickly, obviously, and it can be tricky to do on the fly. But with practice, you'll be able to do it.

The final one was basically the entire flying section. All you can do here is hold down the back arrow and memorize, memorize, memorize. The most difficult part about it is that you can't see what's coming until it's nearly on top of you. So if you memorize what is where, you can anticipate.
Hopefully my tips were somewhat useful.
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by mswf »

Hidden/Spoiler:
I flew through the entire pipeline in my second go[hide]I had to scratch my nose the first time :lol:
[/hide]

The map was amazing. The level of detail, easter-eggs and lighting was amazing. The only thing I that might need improvement (It's not the kill that cost me my life) Is
Hidden/Spoiler:
The small hall between the "Intelligence Room" and the big corridor. The doors are just to close to each other (so you can't close the two at once), so wen probe droids approach from both sides, you're pretty much, well you know
It's a small thing, and you can see that because you start to notice those little things, how excellent this map was. I'd give it the highest rating for innovation and just plain quality :thumbs:
Last edited by mswf on Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

Hidden/Spoiler:
mswf: i dont think that should be "fixed" i think its supposed to be like this because you wouldnt need such an exact timing otherwise (and that would spoil the fun)
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by mswf »

DarthD.U.C.K. wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
mswf: i dont think that should be "fixed" i think its supposed to be like this because you wouldnt need such an exact timing otherwise (and that would spoil the fun)
Hidden/Spoiler:
I didn't mean to say that I thought it NEEDED to be fixed (I thought it was a pretty fun thing to try and time it well myself too) I just thought I'd mention it because I noticed it.