UnOfficial v1.3 Patch (r129 - Latest Version)

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: UnOfficial v1.3 Patch (r117 - Final Release)

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Yes, those files contain the best code examples. But I can't make any changes/updates to the v1.3 patch without everything. The only thing I can use random scripts for is just reference on how things work. I've lost all the extra documentation I was making on how the shell screens functions.

My web site has been down since I moved back to college at the end November. I was going to put the source up on Filefront... I remember putting everything into a 7z archive, but it disappeared. So far, the hard drive scanned has turned up some swbf2 related files, but nothing yet worth keeping.

If someone had shell_interface.lua, I would be able to see and fix that single cGC loading bug (assuming its there, I still haven't looked into it yet...)

I was thinking of writing up swbf2 API documentation over my Spring break (first week in March), but now I'm not sure if I will do it. Is there still a demand for it?
Frisbeetarian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Frisbeetarian »

I know that I would love to see that. I planned on downloading the source a while ago, but in its uncompressed format, all I did was view it on your site. Tough luck.
Aman/Pinguin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Inactive

Post by Aman/Pinguin »

I included 3 other files you sent me some time ago. Thought you might need them too.

http://files.filefront.com/Zerted7z/;13 ... einfo.html
Smug
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Smug »

Didn't his already come out?
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Zerted wants the source files so he can do more work on it or something like that.
Xan
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by Xan »

Hmm. So I found this today when I got tired of completely annihilating the AI all the time, and figured I'd give it a shot to spice things up. Unfortunately, the install fails. I tried the version attached to the conversion 2.2 and the one hosted in this thread (which I read from start to finish, and MAN ALIVE you guys have put a lot of work into this!), but got the same results.

Apparently, several files, including all.lvl, imp.lvl, and the like, aren't in my game directory, so the patch can't change them. The result is that the game behaves erratically after installing the patch, crashing on all new maps (like Alderaan) and game modes (like KoToR era or Uber), but not on the originals... usually not on the originals. I did a manual search and confirmed that the files are missing, and did a windows search only to find they are not anywhere within my BF2 folders.

I tried downloading the original .lvl files (there was a link buried in this thread) but the link was dead. I tried extracting them from the game CD, but can't access the archives directly... I'm currently doing a reinstall to see if that fixes the matter.

I'm running Vista 32 bit, and had the official 1.1 patch installed with no other mods or maps.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Well, that failed. My CD is damaged, with data6.cab apparently corrupted (that's where it fails in the install process, as shown here. Fortunately, I have a copy of all game data that I had before on a thumb drive, which will allow the game to run, if with a little prodding... unfortunately, I can't reinstall and try to get the missing files. So now I REALLY hope somebody has an idea, or else I can't take advantage of all your hard work.

On a side note, I've never seen a CD damaged quite like this... it has a solid ring around one part, with smaller rings further out on the edge. You can just see the larger ring in this picture. I wonder if anybody has any idea what could cause it?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Looks like the laser actually burned a ring into the disc. This happens on a Xbox 360 if you bump it while the disc is spinning.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

If I remember correctly; Conversion Pack 2.0 shipped with a copy of the original side .lvl files (and an earlier version of the 1.3 patch).

And I am unsure how you have a problem with the version that comes with the 2.2 patch - it is a fully extracted "lite" version install; which means it doesn't rely on you having patched all.lvl (etc.), and you shouldn't have to do any installation at all.

At what specific points (if you remember) did you have issues and what were they with each try? Specifically, what issues did you have after just the 2.0 install, after the 2.2 install, and then after the 1.3 install (this sounds like the order you said you tried)?
Xan
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by Xan »

I skipped the 2.0 install, assuming that everything it had would be in the 2.2 version. I'll download that from somewhere and see if it does indeed have the required .lvl files.

Far as the CD goes, perhaps I tilted my lappy at the wrong moment or something... :cpu:

As for specific details, I tried the 2.2 install, which handled all of the unofficial 1.3 (or so I thought). Ran the game, set up a LAN to tinker with the new stuff alongside my roommate, and the game crashed to the desktop while loading the first map (Alderaan, with KoToR and conquest). I tried a few more times, hoping it was a glitch, but to no avail. I then systematically narrowed down the problem to the new maps and modes, while noting that the original maps and settings still worked properly. I also could open up the console, though admittedly I didn't actually do anything with it, besides seeing all the cool stuff that was available; by that point I just assumed activating any new features would crash it.

Each time I loaded a new map or an old map with a new setting (such as Uber, XL, KoToR, etc.), it would load partially and then crash to desktop.

After hunting around on the readme and installation guide, it said if it crashes, try reinstalling the 1.3 patch. Opened up menu, uninstalled, reinstalled, and found that it couldn't find, either in my game files or the patch's, all the files relating to sides (such as all.lvl). The other .lvl files, like common.lvl and ingame.lvl, were present and installed correctly.

I tested with this reinstall to the same effect. Noting the different sizes between the conversion pack and r117 full, which as said above is the lite and full versions, I downloaded that and uninstalled, reinstalled using that. This time, the missing .lvl files were found among the patch files, but still not among the original game files. Running the game under this install got me the same results as above, with one variation: instead of partially loading and then crashing, it would lock up on a black screen just before showing the level loading screen. A quick alt+tab revealed a separate FATAL error window, which I should have taken a screen shot of but alas, I did not. Clicking okay on the fatal error closes the game.

I then uninstalled and rediscovered my CD is damaged. :cry: Previously, when my roommate wanted to play with me, we had tried installing on his computer, only find the damage... I copied my game directory via flash drive, and got it working by manually installing everything. I subsequently forgot my CD wouldn't install, but because I still have the data on my thumb drive, I can manually put it back just as easily... except I still don't have the .lvl files.

SO, after all that long-windedness (and yes, that's a word, because I say so), I'm going to get 2.0 and see if it has the original .lvl files. Any other suggestions/ideas/questions/shocked amazement that I can play the game normally without these apparently required files?

EDIT: I like your avatar, Teancum. Of course, your namesake was a far superior warrior to Iron Man, but it's still cool. :)
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Xan wrote:I skipped the 2.0 install, assuming that everything it had would be in the 2.2 version. I'll download that from somewhere and see if it does indeed have the required .lvl files.
BAD idea...
It says in the 2.2 patch download intrctions
Maveritchell wrote:1) You must have Conversion Pack 2.0 installed and working.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Your problem lies in the fact that you only installed a patch (2.2) and not the full installation (2.0). Anywhere the patch is available should note that it is required for you to have the 2.0 full installation. Otherwise you will end up with exactly what you said - a lot of new things "available" but nothing new playable.

There's no problem with 1.3 or 2.2, at least so far as seen in your case - you just didn't install the full mod. What you need to do is download 2.0 and install it:
http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... Pack;94154
...then reinstall the 2.2 patch (this is necessary, it must be installed after 2.0):
http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... atch;98307

...then everything should be fine.
Xan
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by Xan »

Whoops. WELL, that could be a problem... :oops:

Yaowza! That's a big file! Good thing the speed isn't too bad...

Side note: anybody know why I can't see anybody's signature, not even my own? My settings say to automatically attach it, and I have it enabled in my display settings to see signatures...
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

We don't allow signatures on the board, and they're disabled to be viewed on posts (why we still have the option I do not know, I understand that it's confusing).
Xan
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by Xan »

:?

Grr. Well...
"O be wise, what can I say more?" -Jacob 6:12
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." -Maximus Decimus Meridius, Gladiator

Now I feel better.
Xan
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by Xan »

First, sorry for the double post.

Second, it almost works now. Almost. I downloaded and installed 2.0, then 2.2. Same error. I then uninstalled the 1.3 patch, then installed the 1.3 r117 patch. Here is what it gave me. A quick search told me, the files WERE THERE. But it didn't recognize them for some reason, or else it put them there during the install process but didn't say so on the screen. I then uninstalled the patch, which strangely gave me messages of copying the files... perhaps the originals were being copied back? A reinstall gives me this.

Now, the game mostly runs. I can now play original maps and modes, no problem. Most of the time, the new maps and modes work. But not always. Sometimes it crashes back to the desktop, as I described originally. It's a lot less consistent now, so I'm having trouble pinning it down. I'm also getting some phantom errors; new units aren't always available for use, stamina doesn't go down on some maps (I was playing as Rebellion, not CIS), and I seem to get consistent crashes with Alderaan, though not with any other map.

So... now I'm even more confused.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Xan wrote:I'm also getting some phantom errors; new units aren't always available for use, stamina doesn't go down on some maps (I was playing as Rebellion, not CIS), and I seem to get consistent crashes with Alderaan, though not with any other map.

So... now I'm even more confused.
Please make further questions in the Conversion Pack forum; none of these things have anything to do with the 1.3 patch, which you should now have successfully installed.

If you get any crashes (as noted in the Conversion Pack's documentation), these may be due to the higher graphical requirements put on your game with the converted SWBF1 maps. Make sure your lighting is set to medium or lower and your other graphical settings lowered accordingly, if necessary.

What do you mean by "new units aren't always available for use?" Many units have a point unlock requirement, just like units in the stock game. Some maps - any map on "Classic Conquest" mode - plays like SWBF1. There is no "stamina" and consequently no stamina drain.

Please feel free to peruse the SWBF1 Conversion Pack Forum, many of your questions can be answered in posts found there, and you will perhaps find some elaboration on what is and is not intentional.
Xan
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by Xan »

K, thanks for the help! And for putting up with my, erm, stupidity. Just when you thought you'd read it all, the most obvious "Install this first" escapes you... :oops:
vampire_lord
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Post by vampire_lord »

Solved, but I needed to download the full patch to figure out...
ask_to_u
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by ask_to_u »

Hi all,

I have the patch now, but my first question was, where i should place this^^ I read the installation guide, but I understood only one thing, that I have to make a new folder, but where (C/programs/lucasarts/swbf2, and then??) :sick: :runaway: :runaway:
pls describe, how you installed the patch :bowdown:
Frisbeetarian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Frisbeetarian »

http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... atch;95405
Tells you how to install under the Readme area.