Christophsis

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

SpartanA259
Captain
Captain
Projects :: Orion City
xbox live or psn: Steam: [404] Ash

Christophsis

Post by SpartanA259 »

Christophsis: Crystal City

With Orion on the backburner I decided I'd try building Christophsis again. After pushing through my problem with the street textures, I've managed to actually put together something. This map uses elements from the battle in the movie, the episode "The Hidden Enemy", and concept art. I did try my best to add enough cover and debris so it's somewhat similar to the movie. This means there's more debris further into the city and near the Republics CP's while there is less around the CIS's and outside the city. I did need to make piles of rubble instead of that wall they had in the movie just so troops and armor could maneuver through it.

Screenshots
Hidden/Spoiler:
It's turquoiseish... Sickenly turquoiseish

[To Be Done]
Add Vehicles
TCW Units
Improve Crystal Textures - If anyone can give me a bit of advice on how I can make the textures look closer to the style on the show it'd be greatly apprectiated
Change street lamps so they are off during the day
Random Lighting - Day/Night
Real Working Lights for the street lights
Fix View Distance - Buildings don't appear properly and objects flash alot
Re-Texture crates (this one is very important, believe me)
Better lighting
And a bunch of other misc stuff...

Comments, advice and criticism appreciated
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Re: Christophsis

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Good thing I like things that are sickenly turquoiseish...
ARCTroopaNate
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront - Tides of War
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 RC EAW
xbox live or psn: I have ps4

Post by ARCTroopaNate »

Map setup looks very faithful, and it looks like a good start, but I'd suggest trying to work on the ground texture to make it look a little more detailed. The polygons seemed big to me initially but they seem to be accurate in size after looking at ref pictures, but I still think the ground texture could use a little more detail work, scratches on the ground etc. Good start to the map though!!
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

Looks very good so far. Did you consider adding interior rooms as well such as corridors, broken and collapsed rooms and maybe even tunnels?

For the crystals. You could make them clean by adding an env. map to them which reflects a typical crystal material. Or maybe less transparent but more "rougher" by adding some scratches.

One tip for the ground: You could download a tile-able ground texture which looks close to a rough, metal ground like in the movie. Then add some hexagons and maybe give it another texture. Also make the hexagons outlines a little bit darker and then: Give them a normal and specular map. Making the inner hexagons brighter (specular map) and the outlines completely black. In CW it looked like this: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/sta ... 1013044729

Rendered a good specular map would look a lot like this: http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/15 ... topsis.png

Better would be a very rough normal map which gives the ground a more "dirty" and "used" feeling...because of the battle and so on.
SpartanA259
Captain
Captain
Projects :: Orion City
xbox live or psn: Steam: [404] Ash

Post by SpartanA259 »

AnthonyBF2 wrote:Good thing I like things that are sickenly turquoiseish...
This is good, yes?
ARCTroopaNate wrote:Map setup looks very faithful, and it looks like a good start, but I'd suggest trying to work on the ground texture to make it look a little more detailed. The polygons seemed big to me initially but they seem to be accurate in size after looking at ref pictures, but I still think the ground texture could use a little more detail work, scratches on the ground etc. Good start to the map though!!
Yeah these ground textures were being used as more of a base just so I could position certain objects and I could scale the texture so it would be close to how big the hexagons are on the show.
And since you mentioned hexagon sizes I did go and compare a recent picture I have to a ref picture and it does seem they might be a bit big.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Tilerange 7 (Current Size)
Tilerange 5
thelegend wrote:Looks very good so far. Did you consider adding interior rooms as well such as corridors, broken and collapsed rooms and maybe even tunnels?

For the crystals. You could make them clean by adding an env. map to them which reflects a typical crystal material. Or maybe less transparent but more "rougher" by adding some scratches.

One tip for the ground: You could download a tile-able ground texture which looks close to a rough, metal ground like in the movie. Then add some hexagons and maybe give it another texture. Also make the hexagons outlines a little bit darker and then: Give them a normal and specular map. Making the inner hexagons brighter (specular map) and the outlines completely black. In CW it looked like this: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/sta ... 1013044729

Rendered a good specular map would look a lot like this: http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/15 ... topsis.png

Better would be a very rough normal map which gives the ground a more "dirty" and "used" feeling...because of the battle and so on.
The problem I kinda run into with interiors is that these buildings don't have any. These are just the ones Forcemaster released. I can see if I can find something to re-texture in the game's assets that will fit though.

Also, thanks for the texturing tips guys.
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

What made you want to do a recreation of the Christophsis map? Sorry if this sounds like a rude way of asking the question but ForceMaster's map seemed (in my opinion) like a very well created recreation of the actual battle scene from the movie and the episode. If you are trying to make it more like the episode or movie then I would definitely suggest what TheLegend has but you say you have problems making the corridors due to some issues. Still this is a very well made map so far and I definitely will download this if I get the chance once it is released.
Delta-1035
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: TOR GCWII GCW1035 BF1035
xbox live or psn: Johnny_Sciroppo

Post by Delta-1035 »

MikeTheBeast55 wrote:What made you want to do a recreation of the Christophsis map? Sorry if this sounds like a rude way of asking the question but ForceMaster's map seemed (in my opinion) like a very well created recreation of the actual battle scene from the movie and the episode.
So what? If he wants to make his own, just let him be.

We have like thousands and thousands of clone wars mods\eras and like a billion of geonosis maps, but that has never stopped anyone to make their own - which is good, anyone can do whatever they want, with their own style.

I can't really see the point of you comment, sorry, but maybe it's just me.
Isaac1138
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: BF1+2 stronghold
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Isaac1138 »

My recomendation for this map would be: Make the streets longer than the previous version, make it so that you can go inside the crystal buildings (like in the CW), also (this could be a different map) but include the clone base in the Episode "The Hidden Enemy".