Renegade Squadron Mod (Updated 3-22-16)

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Renegade Squadron Mod (Updated 3-22-16)

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

This project is something I started 2 years ago and due to an unfortunate deletion most of my source files had been lost. Thankfully due to recent findings on an older flash drive this project is back on track with most of the weapons functioning nearly exactly as they did in the psp game. (And yes the properties in the psp are not carbon copies from BF2 as Rebellion handled weapons differently.) I always disliked the weird controls and limitations from the psp system either though I really did enjoy the game for what it was. Now with this project you will get to use 2 thumb-sticks and much more.

Credits as of now:
Tirpider for his excellent assistance in the creation and kit bashing of the rebel models.
Pandemic for their origin models
Unit 33 for the rebel trooper base skin
DEVISS
Icemember for storm commander model
Sereja for various weapon models
Nedarb7
-RC- Some edited backpack models

Teaser Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4qiMBRgL-E
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Suggestions for color schemes are welcome, actually if you have the game emulated take a screenshot and ill test your personal set up ingame.
Last edited by TWINKEYRUNAWAY on Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Re: Renegade Squadron Mod

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Are characters customizable or is there just several loadouts? Are you getting the PSP maps too? Either way, looks good! :wink:
BF2-Master
Captain
Captain

Post by BF2-Master »

Looks like you're off to an interesting start -- love the variety of Rebel troopers you're creating. The CIS and Rebels always seem to get less love in BF mods so it's cool to see a lot of focus there.
walruslui
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Star Wars

Post by walruslui »

Oh man this looks promising, Renegade Squadron had so much potential but those Diet Dr. Pepper controls just held it back so much! I hope you do the idea behind it true justice :)

Will you also create the PSP-exclusive maps?
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

never played Renegade Squadron. But this mod looks very great.
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

Excellent looking models you got so far Twinkey, looks like lots of work has been put into this mod already but I bet you will make this Renegade Squadron Mod awesome! My only question would be is the going to be an Era mod for all stock maps, only for certain ones or for a mod map?
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

For sure im going to make sure all stock maps will have it.
I would love to get some of the psp exclusive maps in there eventually. But first I want the gameplay and class set ups done first.

(By the way if anyone is interested I would love a mapper on board who is familiar with the game.)
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Back in the day I theorized a rotation player model setup for classes. Basically you have an OnCharacterSpawn() function and inside it you have a counter. Each time a character spawns you use SetProperty() to change the player model and increment the counter. The next spawn should use the new player model, and so on. Here's some really terrible pseudocode to demonstrate:

Code: Select all

OnCharacterSpawn(
      --first ensure we don't have a nil/null value
      if currentCharacterModelNumber = nil then
            currentCharacterModelNumber = 1 --safety
      end

--now use our model swap code!
      if currentCharacterModelNumber = 1 then
            SetProperty("all_inf_soldier", "GeometryName" "playermodel1") --our first model
            currentCharacterModelNumber += 1; --increment by 1
      elseif currentCharacterModelNumber = 2 then
            SetProperty("all_inf_soldier", "GeometryName" "playermodel2") --our second model
      elseif currentCharacterModelNumber = 3 then
            SetProperty("all_inf_soldier", "GeometryName" "playermodel3") --our third model
      elseif currentCharacterModelNumber = 4 then
            SetProperty("all_inf_soldier", "GeometryName" "playermodel4") --our fourth model
            currentCharacterModelNumber = 1; --reset to 1
      else
            --This should never happen, but just in case, reset to 1
            currentCharacterModelNumber = 1
      end
)
Now obviously that's not proper lua coding, but you get the idea.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

I just realized you've stated you have all guns working, ... even the carbon freezing gun that can freeze enemies? That would be sweet! :P
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

anthonybf2 wrote:I just realized you've stated you have all guns working, ... even the carbon freezing gun that can freeze enemies? That would be sweet! :P
Well I can emulate almost the same effect. A chargeable weapon that fires a tracer with invisible geometry with a light blue laser trial. Firing the weapon weapon will feel the same but the effect of freezing cannot be emulated. All animation sets would practically need a new animation bank for freezing which is something out of my hands and knowledge. But I had an idea that instead of the projectile freezing the target, it instead acts like a carbon freezing dart where it inflicts blue/grey ion mist on the target and essentially acts as a poison. The higher you charge and release the projectile, the more initial damage the shot does while the poison damage remains the same.

@Teancum, That sounds like a great suggestion.
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

I really love this and the Skins look extremely well done :thumbs:
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:Firing the weapon weapon will feel the same but the effect of freezing cannot be emulated.
Nah dude, wrong. You can handle it a couple of ways. You can used chained knockdown (push/pull) effects if you want to use just weapon .odfs, or if you want to be cleaner but use scripting, you can make a weapon that, when it hits a target, disables their physics for a small amount of time.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Kinda like how darth vader handles force grip in dark times? I totally feel you on the push/pull odfs and I actually almost got that working for this weapon but it looks a little wierd like the affected unit is doing the dugy with his body being thrusted back and fourth in place. The lua suggestion sounds like a much better option. Ill go ahead and experiment with that and see what happens.

Happy to report the cluster grenades are almost done and im currently working on the orbital strike rifle.(though im debating if I should just give it to units in outdoor maps.)
DarthDio
Private Third Class
Projects :: 2D Artist for Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: StarWars Battlefront
xbox live or psn: none

Post by DarthDio »

If we could only port some of the excellent maps from Renegade Squadron.
TheMastermindOfMaom
Private First Class
Projects :: None.
xbox live or psn: #PCMasterRace

Post by TheMastermindOfMaom »

I don't believe you can. A lot of things can be ported but I don't think RS models are on that list. Maps is even harder.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

DarthDio wrote:If we could only port some of the excellent maps from Renegade Squadron.
The process is SUPER long, but possible. You have to do a full 3D capture of the map with an emulator and a 3D screenshot program, put that all into a modeling program, do a ton of scaling, import to ZeroEdit and then do a lot of object breakup so you can keep the FPS up high.

Very possible, but also a very long process, which is why it hasn't been done so far.
iamastupid
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Projects :: Not Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft
xbox live or psn: d_Bro

Post by iamastupid »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:For sure im going to make sure all stock maps will have it.
I would love to get some of the psp exclusive maps in there eventually. But first I want the gameplay and class set ups done first.

(By the way if anyone is interested I would love a mapper on board who is familiar with the game.)
I am extremely familiar with renegade squadrons maps and there layouts as it is in my top 3 favourite battlefronts, I am attempting to remake maps from the PSP battlefront titles however, I am no good at modelling so I am extremely limited on what I'm capable of.
In short: Yes, I may be able to make map remakes. However I will require custom assets for: Korriban, Sullust, Salecami, Space Platforms (CW Coruscant and GCW Kashyyyk), Maybe Endor? Bar these maps I can make maps that highly resemble the ones from Renegade Squadron. (Tatooine, Boz Pity, Ord Mantel, the rest are ports of SWBF2 stock maps but smaller.) :thumbs:
LINK TO PSP MAPS PORTS: http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=31991 (Only Elite Squadron maps at the minute)
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

I am current looking into the PSP level formats to convert things more easily. As Teancum said it is difficult to do as this will be my first time breaking into the .PSP files and diguring things out. So far everything is either in an unfamiliar format or unopenable.
DylanRocket
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: None
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by DylanRocket »

ggctuk wrote:I am current looking into the PSP level formats to convert things more easily. As Teancum said it is difficult to do as this will be my first time breaking into the .PSP files and diguring things out. So far everything is either in an unfamiliar format or unopenable.
I believe you can extract the .PSP files with this QuickBMS script: http://aluigi.altervista.org/bms/asura.bms
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Indeed, and that is what I did but the internal formats need figuring out.