One model, several textures (FAQ)

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

archer01

One model, several textures (FAQ)

Post by archer01 »

I hope I'm not wasting space with this but here goes...

I've been reading about skinning here on the forums, but every solution I've seen so far seems to make the game replace the existing texture of a unit causing all classes that use that model to have the new texture instead of just a single one. I have my own way of getting around this that also uses minimal HD space to accomplish, but I don't want to "jump-the-gun" explaining it if it's already been done (ie I want to avoid sounding like an idiot :P ). So has this problem already been addressed? A couple screenshots are below to show what I mean:

Regular blue trooper and my Green Shield Breaker. Same model different texture:

*Added:
Okay, I'm going to elaborate on what Schizo said below since some hex editing experience is required (and not everyone has worked with hex editors before)…

Step 1: Get the files you need and copy them into the “msh” folder of the side you are creating.

Step 2: Rename the files to something new. For the sake of avoiding errors later on, make sure the new name is EXACTLY the same number of characters as the old one. Example: all_inf_tantive4trooper.msh and all_inf_moddedt4trooper.msh both have 23 character names.

Step 3: Load up the “.msh” file in a hex editor (you should see something like the screen below). Now go through and find all instances of the ‘tga’ file name and change it to your new name. (You can change every other reference of the old name too, but I don’t think it’s necessary)

Step 4: If the model also has a low resolution geometry mesh (ending in “_low.msh”) repeat step three on it as well.

Step 5: After finishing with the ‘.msh’ files, load up the ‘odf’ file of the trooper you want to have the new skin (make sure this odf is in the same side as the msh files you modified). Add/Change the geometry names to your new geometry.

Step 6: Edit/Replace the ‘tga’ file you copied earlier with that of your new texture.

Step 7: Munge your side and try it out.

If you don't have a hex editor, do a search on the net. I'm sure you'll find a free one somewhere.

XVI32
HxD
Schizo

RE: One model, several textures

Post by Schizo »

It's pretty easy. Just rename the modified TGA, and change the name of it in the MSH file. The only catch is the new skin has to have the same number of characters in the name. So if you want to rename "rep_inf_ep3_trooper", it'll have to be 19 characters long.
archer01

Post by archer01 »

Yup! That's it in a nutshell. The weird thing is I haven't seen anyone mention it before. :?
Linus

Re: RE: One model, several textures

Post by Linus »

Schizo wrote:It's pretty easy. Just rename the modified TGA, and change the name of it in the MSH file. The only catch is the new skin has to have the same number of characters in the name. So if you want to rename "rep_inf_ep3_trooper", it'll have to be 19 characters long.
Thanks, Schizo. I must try this. :D
Penguin
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

RE: Re: RE: One model, several textures

Post by Penguin »

also, if its a weapon and you rename the .msh, the hud will be screwed up, so you'll have to fix that by either my tutorial ((the easy 5 second one)) or the other long tutorial thats quite hard and not user friendly
Rekubot
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Shadow Complex
xbox live or psn: Rekubot

Post by Rekubot »

Can't you just use the OverrideTexture line in the soldier's ODF file for this?
dentistdroid

Post by dentistdroid »

can you make more for the battledroids?More skins movie like.Battle droid normal,geonosian type,security,pilot,green camo,metalic type like the repulic commando...please,this a simple request,thanks.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

Rekubot wrote:Can't you just use the OverrideTexture line in the soldier's ODF file for this?
Yes, but only about 1/2 the player models are set up to work with OverrideTexture. The model had to be exported right to do it.

@ DentistDroid -- Please keep requests in the requests topic.
LorriPorri

Skins

Post by LorriPorri »

Hee...can someone help me? I really want to make my own skin.. Is there a program so you can edit a tga or something? I'm confused!
A program name is cool to me! :)
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

RE: Skins

Post by The_Emperor »

I'd suggest using the gimp if you want free software to make skins :P
shade...

uh oh

Post by shade... »

uh oh. so your saying... you need to hex edit to create multiple TGA files?
so if i want to just modify the skin, and want to create more then one tga, i need to hex edit?

i think that happened in one of my mods... yes, the starfighter one. creating diff skins for each. didnt work, either XD
Droideka88

RE: uh oh

Post by Droideka88 »

This should solve my problem with my troopers. Maybe now I can go back to my Mustafar movie map... Thanks man.
Can't you just use the OverrideTexture line in the soldier's ODF file for this?
I've tried that many times but it fails with the Episode 3 trooper model. That's what I got from it.
phazon_elite
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
Location: I'm sorry Link, I can't give the location. Come back when you're a little...mmmh...RICHER!

RE: uh oh

Post by phazon_elite »

That green clone is your texture, right Archer? That looks like the Elite Trooper I made for a side a while back.