Custom Side: How To (FAQ)

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

nickkorta
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: ____________________

Re: Custom Side: How To (FAQ)

Post by nickkorta »

Yes ,I no some of it works because to make shure I muged it right.I got rid of a imp unit. You can see it in the code.The imp unit was gone, but the unit i wanted to add was not there.
Bob
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bob »

I also can't find a mistake in the way you added the unit, maybe the problem is the unit itself...
what says the .log?
nickkorta
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by nickkorta »

um how do i get to the log, the thing that pops up after i muge it. Also what odf file was i suppose to use(maby i have the wrong one i used the default dark trooper one.) Also do i need all the tga files and what not.
Bob
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bob »

go to your BF2_ModTools folder, take the BF2_modtools.exe and copie it to <installpath>\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData. then doubleclick the copied .exe and play your map. then you have a BFront2.txt (aka the "error log")in the GameData folder. open it, copie the stuff and paste it here.
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

nickkorta wrote:um how do i get to the log, the thing that pops up after i muge it.
That's not the "log" bob was referring to. The text file that comes up after munging is called the munge log, and can be found in data_***\_BUILD as PC_MungeLog.txt. What we need to see is BFront2.log. Instructions on finding/making one are in the FAQ thread.
nickkorta
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by nickkorta »

Ok i read the tut and looked at your coments but i wont work. when i copy the BF2_modtools file it says pleas inset disk 1( i have it in) and when thats up i cant run SWBF2. If i run SWBF2 and go to the menu were it says play game, options ect, and i click on the modtools nothings happans. Samething happans if the game is running. I loaded my map ingame and got no text document.

Sorry for all the problems. This deffently one of the hardest games i mod.

Edit.
ok when i run the tool as admistrator i get 2 files.

bf2cmd which cotains nothing. Think this is for commands lists.

and

BFront2 whic contatains only this.

Opened logfile BFront2.log 2011-01-31 1441

every thing else is the same, I run map ingame and nothing shows up.
Bob
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bob »

If you have the DVD version of the game try this debug thing, it works without any disk. (use it like the other one)
masterguitaristkyle
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by masterguitaristkyle »

So I'm really new to modding, and I'm trying to create my first side. Here's what I did: I looked through the "jedi creation" document in the modtools docs file, and got a brief overview of that. Then I looked over your tutorial and they both seemed to agree, so I made a side file in my data_abc>sides directory and followed everything you said. Because it was a test and I only wanted to create one new character to add to the alliance team (which used the exact same textures, models, etc), I copied the entire "all" side into my odf and msh stuff but only declared my soldier in the req. Then I did the stuff in the lua, munged and tried to play it. As soon as the map fully loaded, the game shut down. I am frankly baffled as to what to do next?
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

masterguitaristkyle wrote:So I'm really new to modding, and I'm trying to create my first side. Here's what I did: I looked through the "jedi creation" document in the modtools docs file, and got a brief overview of that. Then I looked over your tutorial and they both seemed to agree, so I made a side file in my data_abc>sides directory and followed everything you said. Because it was a test and I only wanted to create one new character to add to the alliance team (which used the exact same textures, models, etc), I copied the entire "all" side into my odf and msh stuff but only declared my soldier in the req. Then I did the stuff in the lua, munged and tried to play it. As soon as the map fully loaded, the game shut down. I am frankly baffled as to what to do next?
You may want to use the "debug" version of SWBF2, found here. Then open your BFront2 log (found in gamedata) and look for any "message severity: 3" messages. Hope this helps!
Hidden/Spoiler:
Bump. :shock: