Causes of Multiplayer Crashes?

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

Ascertes
Private Second Class
Projects :: Space Carida
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Causes of Multiplayer Crashes?

Post by Ascertes »

I'm having an issue where the Space map I'm working on crashes in multiplayer, but operates just fine in singleplayer.

What happens:
The map launches fine, the tips and tricks with custom text operate as they should, it loads, but as soon as those little dots are done filling at the bottom, the game freezes. I then have to go into task manager and close the Bf2 application to get it to close. I have had 2 friends test this for me as well and the same thing happens to them.

Things I've done:
I admit I made the mistake of not consistently testing the map in multiplayer. I only discovered this problem when I wanted to test my latest version with the same friends who encountered the same issue. As far as things I've changed, I can't think of anything that would truly break multiplayer, but I'll provide a list of what I can think of:

-Added the LinkedFrigate LUA script provided by xwingguy (removed this feature to see if this was the issue, but it still crashed.)
-Changed the default Tatooine sky to that of Naboo (reverted this as well, the map still crashed.)
-Created pilotable heavy turrets by modifying stock assets.
-Created Frigate Heavy Beam Turrets from stock assets (basically I just changed out the default Frigate Turret weapon ammunition.)
-Linked multiple Turret Mainframes to different sets of turrets.
-Added shields to a 3rd capital ship.
-Localized the name of the custom units I am adding. (The units have worked fine in multiplayer in the past.)
-Added turrets to all frigates.
-Created custom text for the Tips and Tricks box on the loading screen, and deleted the extras.

Other Notes:
I'm not getting any unusual errors in the munge log that have broken multiplayer in the past. But I'll provide a transcript:

Code: Select all

ERROR[levelpack shell.req]:Input file shell.req does not exist. [continuing]
   1 Errors    0 Warnings

WARNING[PC_modelmunge msh\cis_inf_bdroid.msh]:cis_inf_bdroid has 2633 vertices and NO COLLISION GEOMETRY (WILL BE SLOW)!
WARNING[PC_modelmunge msh\rep_inf_ep3jettrooper.msh]:rep_inf_ep3jettrooper has 2368 vertices and NO COLLISION GEOMETRY (WILL BE SLOW)!
WARNING[PC_modelmunge msh\rep_inf_jettrooper.msh]:rep_inf_jettrooper has 2379 vertices and NO COLLISION GEOMETRY (WILL BE SLOW)!
   0 Errors    3 Warnings

WARNING[PC_modelmunge MSH\Pol1_bldg_radar_screens.msh]:Pol1_bldg_radar_screens has 1726 vertices and NO COLLISION GEOMETRY (WILL BE SLOW)!
   0 Errors    1 Warnings

soundflmunge.exe : Error : Unable to open file effects\whooshl3.wav  - while munging C:\BF2_ModTools\data_CSB\Sound\shell\shell.sfx
soundflmunge.exe : Error : Unable to open file effects\whooshl3.wav, format may be invalid  - while munging C:\BF2_ModTools\data_CSB\Sound\shell\shell.sfx
soundflmunge.exe : Error : Unable to read file list C:\BF2_ModTools\data_CSB\Sound\shell\shell.sfx  - while munging C:\BF2_ModTools\data_CSB\Sound\shell\shell.sfx
soundflmunge.exe : Error : Unable to open file C:\BF2_ModTools\data_CSB\Sound\shell\effects\whooshl3.wav  - while munging C:\BF2_ModTools\data_CSB\Sound\shell\shell.sfx
soundflmunge.exe : Error : Unable to open file C:\BF2_ModTools\data_CSB\Sound\shell\effects\whooshl3.wav, format may be invalid  - while munging C:\BF2_ModTools\data_CSB\Sound\shell\shell.sfx
soundflmunge.exe : Error : Unable to read file list C:\BF2_ModTools\data_CSB\Sound\shell\shell.sfx  - while munging C:\BF2_ModTools\data_CSB\Sound\shell\shell.sfx
All of these have appeared in the past and not caused issues.

I could really use help here, I want this to be multiplayer compatible so I can play it with friends. If you see anything that you suspect may be causing a problem, please say so! :) I also wonder if there's an application that can tell me what goes wrong when the map loads.

Thanks!
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Re: Causes of Multiplayer Crashes?

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

If you know how to run a dedicated server, make an Addon folder just inside the main server folder (where data and settings folders are) and put your mod in the Addon folder. Look for your new missions in the maps tab and run the server with the mod for a few minutes and try playing on it as well. The server will print a debug log you can read which can possibly solve the issue.
Ascertes
Private Second Class

Post by Ascertes »

AnthonyBF2 wrote:If you know how to run a dedicated server, make an Addon folder just inside the main server folder (where data and settings folders are) and put your mod in the Addon folder. Look for your new missions in the maps tab and run the server with the mod for a few minutes and try playing on it as well. The server will print a debug log you can read which can possibly solve the issue.
Unfortunately, I don't...

However I'd be more than willing to share this map with someone who does that would be willing to help with this, or learn how to host one myself.

EDIT
I'd like to note that in the BF2.log I'm getting a TON of errors (and honestly without them my log would be about a quarter of its current size) that look this:

Code: Select all

Message Severity: 2
C:\Battlefront2\main\Battlefront2\Source\FLEffect.cpp(427)
Attach: model '' [f37ab6f6] has no hardpoint '' [b754f2f0]
I checked the stickied thread of Log Errors to see if this was mentioned but it was not. Any idea what this means?
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

Maybe post all your Message Severity: 3 error logs here.
From my experience maps freeze in the end of the loading bar when too many objects have been placed. Even if your map runs well on SP...MP is slight different there. For example the mode I am currently working on works fine in SP. But in MP it freezes in the end of loading. I think it's because of the huge amount of turrets I have/had.

You said something about a third capital ship, did you? You probably placed too many turrets there. Try lowering the amount of turrets (But backup your files first) and see what happens next.
If it still freezes (I am not sure how many objects you placed in your map, but...) try lowering the amount of props/objects you think which can be removed. Alternatively you can also create a new layer in Zero Editor, Move all small, less-necessary props in, and let the .lua load only the props you need in SP.
Again move objects/props to new layer, configure, let your script read this layer next to XXX_conquest and in SP your objects are loaded. And in MP they are gone. This works fine. But try this step when the first one didn't success.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

I am sure you can find the SWBF2 PC 1.1 server installer somewhere on SWBFgamers along with installation guides and user manuals, and once you've done that, the rest is easy. As I said before, the server always prints a debug log every time it runs and for as long as it runs. Running the mod in the server helps a lot with determining multiplayer issues. It doesn't report your client issues, but it does report it's own issues.
Ascertes
Private Second Class

Post by Ascertes »

thelegend wrote:Maybe post all your Message Severity: 3 error logs here.
From my experience maps freeze in the end of the loading bar when too many objects have been placed. Even if your map runs well on SP...MP is slight different there. For example the mode I am currently working on works fine in SP. But in MP it freezes in the end of loading. I think it's because of the huge amount of turrets I have/had.

You said something about a third capital ship, did you? You probably placed too many turrets there. Try lowering the amount of turrets (But backup your files first) and see what happens next.
If it still freezes (I am not sure how many objects you placed in your map, but...) try lowering the amount of props/objects you think which can be removed. Alternatively you can also create a new layer in Zero Editor, Move all small, less-necessary props in, and let the .lua load only the props you need in SP.
Again move objects/props to new layer, configure, let your script read this layer next to XXX_conquest and in SP your objects are loaded. And in MP they are gone. This works fine. But try this step when the first one didn't success.
The good news is that I have no Severity 3 issues. And I suppose the problem could be the sheer amount of turrets. I have 4 capital ships placed (5 if you want to count the CIS doughnut space station,) each with a default amount of turrets (but I did add several Heavy Turrets to each ship.) I also have 6 frigates, each with at minimum 4 turrets; the one with the most has 7. I haven't expanded the interiors of any ships, but I want to. If this proves to be the problem there goes my hopes for that...

AnthonyBF2 wrote:I am sure you can find the SWBF2 PC 1.1 server installer somewhere on SWBFgamers along with installation guides and user manuals, and once you've done that, the rest is easy. As I said before, the server always prints a debug log every time it runs and for as long as it runs. Running the mod in the server helps a lot with determining multiplayer issues. It doesn't report your client issues, but it does report it's own issues.
I'll get to work on that right away. Thank you very much :)
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

Ascertes wrote:The good news is that I have no Severity 3 issues. And I suppose the problem could be the sheer amount of turrets. I have 4 capital ships placed (5 if you want to count the CIS doughnut space station,) each with a default amount of turrets (but I did add several Heavy Turrets to each ship.) I also have 6 frigates, each with at minimum 4 turrets; the one with the most has 7. I haven't expanded the interiors of any ships, but I want to. If this proves to be the problem there goes my hopes for that...
Okay at all there are quit a few. But I could be wrong. Stock space maps have less turrets at all. But I don't think it should cause a MP freeze/crash by loading more than these...Instead of removing some try commenting some of them out (If possible) in your .lua. Add -- in front of a turret name in it#s ReadDataFile section and see if it still freezes when they are not even loaded anymore.
By the way this map sounds really interesting. I'd love to see more of it in the near future. I hope I could have helped you somehow.
Ascertes
Private Second Class

Post by Ascertes »

thelegend wrote:Okay at all there are quit a few. But I could be wrong. Stock space maps have less turrets at all. But I don't think it should cause a MP freeze/crash by loading more than these...Instead of removing some try commenting some of them out (If possible) in your .lua. Add -- in front of a turret name in it#s ReadDataFile section and see if it still freezes when they are not even loaded anymore.
By the way this map sounds really interesting. I'd love to see more of it in the near future. I hope I could have helped you somehow.
In my LUA they're only referenced in the sections that tie them to either a mainframe, or to their host frigate. As for ReadDataFile sections, it's set to only load up turrets that are located in the tur side file. Turrets that I've created (the pilotable heavy turrets, Frigate beam turrets,) are all located in the World's ODF folder. So I don't think there's the possibility of commenting them out unfortunately :|

I'll move some turrets around and delete a few of those and some other objects to see what it does.

EDIT: I'm glad you're interested in this map :) once I get this figured out it shouldn't be too much longer before I have it done, depending on what the cause is.

EDIT
Huh, I don't even know what I did but it's working in multiplayer now...

Just deleted a couple unnecessary props. Isn't the object limit 1053? I'm not even close to that number.
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

I am glad you got it working now. Multiplayer has (Unfortunately but maybe still understandable...who knows) it's limited limits. That means some things which work fine in SP won't work in MP. It might help to reduce other memory pools (unused or just not very common ones) to get back some things.
Anyway I am happy you got it working now.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Ascertes wrote:Isn't the object limit 1053? I'm not even close to that number.
The object limit is 1,024. See here: http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13034
Ascertes
Private Second Class

Post by Ascertes »

Marth8880 wrote:The object limit is 1,024. See here: http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13034
Still, I'm not even close to that limit. I only have a couple hundred objects...but the number is probably a lot lower for MP.