Space Endor Mod - Increasing Chaos (Help Request)

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

snthennumbers
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Space Endor Mod - Increasing Chaos (Help Request)

Post by snthennumbers »

Hi everyone, my first post here. I have run numerous searches all through the SWBF2 forum topics here, but I am not finding all the parts I need to accomplish what I want.
I am brand new to SWBF2 modding, but I'm a pretty quick learner. I'm a 28 year old sys admin, so I'm sure I'll pick up on the coding concepts involved with modding SWBF2 quickly with some guidance from the forum members.

I'm hoping there is some interest in this topic so that some of the more senior modders could weigh in so we can get a good level put together for everyone to use.

I know this is going to turn into a tall order, but I am looking for some help with making the Space Endor map more realistic. Ideally I'd like to add another Star Destroyer or two (with AI spawn points in them), and maybe another Frigate or two for each side. Overall I'm really looking to increase the feeling of chaos that we see in the Return of The Jedi movie.

If possible, I'd also love to increase the number of AI space ships on the map at one time so it feels more like what we see in the movie with enemies everywhere.

Conceptually:
"Copy and paste" the extra Star Destroyer in the Space Endor map so there's 1 or 2 more (depending on available space...or maybe we can make the map bigger?)
"Copy and paste" more Frigates for each side (Rebels and Empire)
Increase number of AI ships on the map at one time (X-wings, B-Wings, A-Wings, Y-Wings, Tie Fighters, Tie Interceptors, Tie Bombers, and Tie Defenders) to something like 32+ per side.
Adjust AI flight paths as needed

First things first as I'm getting situated with modding, I know I can edit an existing map by copying some files, but I cannot find a list of what files correspond to which maps, so I have no idea where to get the Space Endor map files to copy and begin modifying for my custom level (as per this post viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8519.)

Can anyone send me in the right direction so I can open the Space Endor map and start digging in?
The first thing I'd want to do is copy and paste a 3rd Star Destroyer into the map if anyone could lend some guidance on how to accomplish that.

Thanks in advance
DylanRocket
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: None
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Re: Space Endor Mod - Increasing Chaos (Help Request)

Post by DylanRocket »

When you say "the Space Endor Map", are you referring to a custom map you've made or to this map? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ3eqkzTlJw)

Compiled maps can not be edited. You'd need the source files for that map, which were never released to my knowledge.
snthennumbers
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by snthennumbers »

Crap, yes I am talking about that map. Darn it...

Are the files available for the ships we see in that map (medical frigate, rebel frigates & mothership, etc)? If all the parts are there, I guess I could take a stab at remaking this map...
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

You can edit tons of things in a compiled level world file but you cannot add things. I have been meaning to post a list of things you can search for and edit in hex editing view but have just been lazy. You'll want to grab some basic hex editors if you don't have any already. Most people use XVI32 (I actually hate that one) and HxD editor which I love the most. You'll be needing them down the road in other modding projects you may dive into.

The first mod I recommend installing is the 1.3 r129 patch. This is an enabler for advanced mods, and allows users to do way more things than you could do with the vanilla game.

BTW: I remember Space Endor mod very well, I loved that map but I didn't keep it because the ammunition limits on the ships were a huge turn off. Now that I have tons of knowledge I have considered going back and editing the ammo values in the files... :P
snthennumbers
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by snthennumbers »

anthonybf2 wrote: BTW: I remember Space Endor mod very well, I loved that map but I didn't keep it because the ammunition limits on the ships were a huge turn off. Now that I have tons of knowledge I have considered going back and editing the ammo values in the files... :P
Would you be willing to share? I'd love something like that
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

I'll take a stab at it if anyone could post a link to that map again. I haven't played it in a long time. What would you like to see if possible to change?

EDITS: I quick guide on editing ammo limits coming...

To edit the ammo limits for something, it doesn't matter if it's an infantry weapon or a vehicle weapon. Just follow these steps. Open the map's SIDE files in hex editor. If the map doesn't have any SIDE files, then it's probably reading the stock side files.
In particular for Space Endor, the ships have ammo limits which probably means it's using custom sides. Find the SIDE folder directory inside of the mod and open all of the files. Pick any file and search for the data 13 BD 19 DC (search for hex type)
You should land on the first search result and it should have a number next to it. The screenshot below is from the rebel vanguard, with the 4 bytes highlighted and a 7 next to indicating how much he is allowed to have for rocket launcher ammo, look at the image then read the next step;
Now if I want the rebel rocket trooper to have unlimited rockets, I'll change the 7 to a 0. In the SWBF engine, using 0 for weapon ammo results in unlimited ammunition. In the file you're editing, edit what ever the value is to 0. If your ammo value is 2 digits, fill the first digit with 0 and the second digit with nothing (fill in the second byte with 00, so all you have is 1 byte being used for ammo count)
Next, keep using your hex editor's "Find Next" tool to keep finding more instances of what you're searching for and keep editing every occurrence that you find. When your hex editor no longer finds more instances of your search, that means you've edited all instances of what you want to change. Save changes and go play the game again, for this in particular all the ships should have unlimited ammo. Repeat the process for all files you're editing.
snthennumbers
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by snthennumbers »

anthonybf2 thanks for the replies.
I'm actually having a hard time finding a legit link to the endor map, save for pirate sites (I'm assuming links to those aren't allowed here?) And unfortunately since I'm so new to this I have no idea what files I need to be looking at. All I can find are .lvl files, which I'm under the impression are compiled maps which I won't be able to open, no?
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

snthennumbers wrote:I'm actually having a hard time finding a legit link to the endor map...
I'm not sure what the difference is, but there are two locations on gamefront added 2.5 weeks apart:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/10231614 ... dor__Space_
http://www.gamefront.com/files/10084489

Google Drive mirror:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B26xB ... TlMUTZPODg
^7-zipped it to cut 20 MB off the archive size.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

anthonybf2 wrote:BTW: I remember Space Endor mod very well, I loved that map but I didn't keep it because the ammunition limits on the ships were a huge turn off. Now that I have tons of knowledge I have considered going back and editing the ammo values in the files... :P
Yo, the ammo refills when you enter the hangars.

Also, if you want a more packed version of Space Endor, I threw in a Dark Times-updated mode as an Easter egg with DS2 Throne Room. Just have the Conversion Pack, DTII, and Throne Room installed and you unlock those modes (as well as a couple others).
snthennumbers
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by snthennumbers »

Maveritchell thank you, could you post some screenshots of what your Space Endor map looks like?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

You're playing it. The Dark Times version should just have more units spawn (and consequently more vehicles populated).
snthennumbers
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by snthennumbers »

Maveritchell wrote: Also, if you want a more packed version of Space Endor, I threw in a Dark Times-updated mode as an Easter egg with DS2 Throne Room. Just have the Conversion Pack, DTII, and Throne Room installed and you unlock those modes (as well as a couple others).
I'm interested in this, but I don't really want to have to unlock something. Can you explain more?
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

I think what he means is that all you have to do is have those mods he listed installed to your game, then Space Endor will present more modes in the map selection screen.
snthennumbers
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by snthennumbers »

Hi guys, sorry for the delay.
I installed the Dark Times II mod, followed by the Emperor's Throne room mod, and while I consider myself to very technically literate, when I launched the game I had no Space Endor map at all. After removing the mods, it was back.

Mods I have installed already:
Patch v1.3
Conversion pack 2.0
Conversion pack 2.2
Ultimate Battlefront: The Clone Wars
Extreme pack 2.2

Any ideas?
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

I would recommend disabling all mods that are not related to Mav's temporarily and only try his. A quick way to disable mods is rename their addme.script files so they don't get detected.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

You've got too many mods installed right now. Just move "UCW" and "BFX" out of the addon folder (temporarily).
snthennumbers
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by snthennumbers »

Maveritchell wrote:You've got too many mods installed right now. Just move "UCW" and "BFX" out of the addon folder (temporarily).
Did that, reinstalled your mods, launched the game, saw Space Endor in Dark Times mode under the Quick Action section, launched it as Space Assault mode, but it didn't really feel any different. I hope to god I'm not being offensive because I have no idea what goes into making these mods. While the people looked different and the ships had more ammo, there weren't any more AI ships in the map flying around (I set assault mode to 32 AI), and I didnt get a sense of the real close quarters we see in the movie. For example here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iOeFPE8574 at 4:22 and 4:35 we get a great sense of how close everything is squeezed in with the major ships and frigates.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's no way to make it so there could be 32 vs 32 or 64 vs 64 AI space ships (X-wings, Tie's, etc) in space assault mode actively flying around?
And then I'm not sure how possible it would be to add more Star Destroyers and frigates (rebel and empire) to the map, even if they're stationary. I'm talking about in the immediate, flyable area of the map; make it really crowded.

If I'm asking for something possible, but in reality probably unrealistic, just let me know.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

The short answer you're not going to like is that the things you see in a linear story don't make for a good game. The capital ships in this map are already extraordinarily close, and putting them closer or increasing the amount of clutter is just going to make it so that you have AI crashing all the time. Same deal with the number of ships - they're essentially maxed out for the size of the map.

You can certainly build interactive experiences that are tight and harrowing (corridor shooters, on-rails levels, etc.), but those run in the face of massive multiplayer action. I built this map as a compromise between the two. I've made multiple space maps that are tighter and more navigationally-challenging, but trust me when I say that they're not as fun because of it (one is even specifically a single-player thing for the reason above).

As DylanRocket mentioned above, I never released source files for the map, but that said, very little is in there that isn't available in the tools. You're welcome to try and duplicate the experience you want using those, but my advice - as someone who's built out a few of these - is to adjust your expectations for what you'd find in a video game versus a movie.