R.I.P. Modding for new games. Welcome to the future.

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

RedHardcore
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: StarWarsBattlefront2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

R.I.P. Modding for new games. Welcome to the future.

Post by RedHardcore »

Hidden/Spoiler:
Over 10 years of maps and mods, seems pretty reasonable. But yeah, R.I.P. Good job everyone for the mods. I guess some things just have to come to an end. You could wish it would last forever, but it doesn't. Used to be a daily thing about new maps, and now its like one a few months. Its amazing how advanced graphics have become in just a 10 year difference. Just 10 years ago, models were made with polygons in the hundreds for one model of a soldier, 10 years later, now their in the tens of thousands, maybe even 100,000. 10 years ago, hd was rare, now we have 4k, which will soon be replaced by its 8k successor. Then soon 8k will no longer be considered hd as there will be 128k and 256k. Ok i'm going off topic now, but yeah. Only problem with 4k/8k, is that would be really difficult for the average person to make unlike what we had 10 years ago. Making a SWBFEA map would take months alone unless you had like 30 people working on it, or you are a super-nerd that spends most of their life on coding. With SWBF2, only took a few days, maybe a week, or a few hours if you did a half-asser. Let's just see what happens throughout the years as we quickily see how fast things change.

P.S. I wonder how long Game Toast will last. Same with Game Front.
Don't listen to it. This thread was pointless.
Last edited by RedHardcore on Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Re: I guess R.I.P. the modding community. Welcome to the fut

Post by giftheck »

I strongly doubt SWBFEA or the rise of ultra-HD will be the demise of this community. Sure, there are people who have left, but you also have to remember a key thing about design and development: it takes time. As far as I can see, new things are still being posted, more ambitious things as we discover just how verstile the engines can actually be. So no, I do not believe the modding community is close to dead.
RedHardcore
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal

Post by RedHardcore »

ggctuk wrote:I strongly doubt SWBFEA or the rise of ultra-HD will be the demise of this community. Sure, there are people who have left, but you also have to remember a key thing about design and development: it takes time. As far as I can see, new things are still being posted, more ambitious things as we discover just how verstile the engines can actually be. So no, I do not believe the modding community is close to dead.
Well of course. Just not as much as before. I'm just amazed how things change. It will never die for old games, but it will decrease for newer games.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Seems a bit harsh given that you've been a member less than a year and haven't made all that many posts.EA's Battlefront doesn't support mods and given their track record with games it never will. Don't expect them to change things up now. HD is great, but you have lots of people like me that prefer moddability to HD. SWBF1/SWBF2 have had mod support for years and tons of things have been released by the community. This in turn still draws in new players each time the game goes on sale via Steam or GoG.com, and it brings back old players every few years to try out new maps.

Me -- I couldn't care less about amazing graphics. I'm having a blast playing through the entire Dark Forces/Jedi Knight saga and those graphics are horrible by today's standards.
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

You can not really say this modding community is "dead" since people still release mods/maps, maybe nowhere as near the 2007-2011 days but they still come around which is always great to see. I can not say too much either as Teancum said to you but I have only been a member on here for two years (discovered the website three years ago) and I have seen a couple renowned modders leave, a couple old renowned modders come back to check what the site had to offer. Metalcore_Rancor came back after years of not coming on the site (hopefully he starts making maps again, he is a great modder with a great imagination), Bantha55 even came back to re-release his maps in 2013 (shame I did not get his Tantive IV Interception Special Edition map). In shorter words, modders come and go, mods/maps take time to make so you need to be patient with them. There have been a couple newer modders that have come to the community in recent years (example: ElFabricio/TheLegend) who really has been cranking out maps faster than most of the modders today. Most modders in this community are most likely college students or adults that need to work who have to support themselves/their families. When this website was created ten-eleven years ago, most of the modders were probably younger teenagers (who do have lots of time on their hands depending on activities they do) and young adults who thought modding would be a nice side activity when they had the time. What I would give to go back in time to when I was 13 (2010) to see the mods/maps I could have downloaded, tried and possibly kept on my computer.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

Teancum wrote:Seems a bit harsh given that you've been a member less than a year and haven't made all that many posts.EA's Battlefront doesn't support mods and given their track record with games it never will. Don't expect them to change things up now. HD is great, but you have lots of people like me that prefer moddability to HD. SWBF1/SWBF2 have had mod support for years and tons of things have been released by the community. This in turn still draws in new players each time the game goes on sale via Steam or GoG.com, and it brings back old players every few years to try out new maps.

Me -- I couldn't care less about amazing graphics. I'm having a blast playing through the entire Dark Forces/Jedi Knight saga and those graphics are horrible by today's standards.
+1
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

I've still got several projects me and a couple others are working on. And many new mods and maps have been released and have started development in this year alone, for both SWBF1 and SWBF2. I'd say at this point the community is still very much alive.

And beyond SWBF, look at all the mods people are still making for Jedi Academy and Empire at War.
RedHardcore
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal

Post by RedHardcore »

Teancum wrote:Seems a bit harsh given that you've been a member less than a year and haven't made all that many posts.EA's Battlefront doesn't support mods and given their track record with games it never will. Don't expect them to change things up now. HD is great, but you have lots of people like me that prefer moddability to HD. SWBF1/SWBF2 have had mod support for years and tons of things have been released by the community. This in turn still draws in new players each time the game goes on sale via Steam or GoG.com, and it brings back old players every few years to try out new maps.

I've known about modding and the community for years. I just never made a gt account until more recently. I probably made one like almost 4 years ago, but never used it and I don't even remember the password or the name. I honestly hate EA. Some hd is good, actually, SWBF2 is a bit hd. I still like this game way better than EA/DICE because of Clone Wars/Mods/Space/Larger Battles, etc. I'm just amazed how things changed. And I am surprised that people still mod this game, and I like it. Maybe I worded things wrong, maybe the game will still be modded in the year 2025, or 2040, I don't know. Yeah, I'm probably wrong about the modding community dieing. But, there won't be as much modding for newer games as older games.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Re: R.I.P. Modding for new games. Welcome to the future.

Post by guru »

I'm not sure what the point of this dumb topic is about , the site was made in 2004 and has been the best real modding site for swbf.
Everyone once in a while kid creates an account and rants and gets banned and we all live. That seems likely here. Not helpful not informative just attention seek. Games that are liked will continue to be modded for as long as people like the games and one persons opinion is rarely fact. I'll monitor this and see if moderation is needed for now happy modding
RedHardcore
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal

Post by RedHardcore »

guru wrote:I'm not sure what the point of this dumb topic is about , the site was made in 2004 and has been the best real modding site for swbf.
Everyone once in a while kid creates an account and rants and gets banned and we all live. That seems likely here. Not helpful not informative just attention seek. Games that are liked will continue to be modded for as long as people like the games and one persons opinion is rarely fact. I'll monitor this and see if moderation is needed for now happy modding
I guess this thread was dumb. I just realized this site is not for opinions. I still like this site, and always will. Yeah delete this thread. I say things not realizing the consequences sometimes.
BF2-Master
Captain
Captain

Post by BF2-Master »

I'm disappointed modding has been phased out of the vast majority of major releases, too, but I still mod a ton of old games from ten years ago, and it's part of why I'm increasingly something of a 'retro' gamer, and it's part of why I still want to set my old Windows XP back up, albeit without internet access.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

Modding is very much alive, maybe not daily downloads on a 10 year old game but I see modding of all sorts of new
Games all the time. If you mod you would know that, if you see the game toast web stats you're see we
Get millions of hits and traffic by people that come and learn or share or get a new map they like. Nothing is dead
But it does remind me
That we need to do a "support gt with PayPal" campaign as the site is currently not funded. Our goal of $25 should be easily obtainable.
I won't remove the topic or lock your account but there is no need to barf untruths on the site when your mostly not educated on it.
RedHardcore
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal

Post by RedHardcore »

guru wrote:Modding is very much alive, maybe not daily downloads on a 10 year old game but I see modding of all sorts of new
Games all the time. If you mod you would know that, if you see the game toast web stats you're see we
Get millions of hits and traffic by people that come and learn or share or get a new map they like. Nothing is dead
But it does remind me
That we need to do a "support gt with PayPal" campaign as the site is currently not funded. Our goal of $25 should be easily obtainable.
I won't remove the topic or lock your account but there is no need to barf untruths on the site when your mostly not educated on it.
I am kinda getting my hands on zero editor a little bit. I've had it since 2012, and barely touched it because I didn't knew how to use it. But then I just recently played around with them again, and I might make something.

Alright sorry about that. I won't talk about this again.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

The game will not die until we let it die and that will not happen!
RevanSithLord
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Designated Days + LFC + GT vs SWBFC
Games I'm Playing :: FO3 + FO New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Master Revan

Post by RevanSithLord »

I agree with those saying that the game and its modding community aren't dead...far from it actually. As an example...right now I'm modding for Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (re-released under Arma: Cold War Assault) and I've had support from several good members of the Bohemia Interactive Studios modding community. OFP/CWA is on an engine from 2001, which, as Teancum said with Dark Forces/Jedi Knight saga, are horrible graphics compared to today's standards (although, several "HD" mods are available for it). I guess what I am saying is that, regardless of the game and regardless of the franchise - if a community is really dedicated to it, it will never truly die. I realize that the game I mentioned isn't SWBF related, or for that fact Star Wars at all (although there are Star Wars addons for it out there), but I think it serves as a perfect example of how moddability, gameplay, and adaptability is more important than HD graphics quality. If people keep going back to games like Dark Forces '95 and C&C: Tiberian Dawn, etc., then you know those games were a major success. I still go back and play Tetris and Pong from time to time. I think the most recent game I've played was Galaga (I never got to experience true arcade, because I was born in 1990). My point here is that a lot of gamers are usually really dedicated to the games they love and grew up with and have stayed with their respective hardcore communities for ages. SWBF 1 & 2 are no exception here. I have seen people mod DF95, unless I'm imagining things. Correct me if I am wrong.
BF2-Master
Captain
Captain

Post by BF2-Master »

It's worth noting 'dead' is a highly relative term to use to describe an online community, especially when one notes there's a big difference between the question of 'is modding dead?' or 'is BF2 modding dead?' or 'is PC modding dead?'

We still have a stable, consistent level of activity at GameToast and in the BF2 community in general, but growth has been stunted for quite a while. One could argue the lack of growth indicates a 'dead' community - I do not agree with that assessment, but it's one that could be reached. I'd say most modding communities for older games go through or are going through the same thing. Another community I used to mod heavily has a very similar set of problems, compacted by some that thankfully are not present here.

I think the modding scene for newer games on the whole is much quieter and less active than for older games at their time of release, but for individual releases that do encourage modding, there is a much more concentrated level of activity as a result.

Again, a lot of this is based on how one defines a community, how one defines death in that context, etc. -- I think GT's just fine myself.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

I think I'll lock this for now. The original poster didn't mean any real harm, and we've all sufficiently come to the defense of the modding we love, even encouraging that person to start a mod.