Someone is taking donations for your mods!

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Someone is taking donations for your mods!

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =329101988

This guy is asking for donations for mods made by you guys. Now I cant speak for everyone but im fairly upset since my mod empire rising is included in this large download. Im not receiving a cent from the donations and he didnt ask for permission to include my or your guy's mods. Not that I would ever ask for money, especially since my mod uses other people's assets.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: Someone is taking donations for your mods!

Post by Maveritchell »

He's not the first scumbag, and he won't be the last. Just report it; that's what the system's there for.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Im giving him a chance to at least remove the donation button which is what really bothers me, im not sure about the rest of you though. Im keeping the report option in mind. Im not sure how to go about that, since you guys might have different opinions how it should be handled.

My statement:
This is twinkeyrunaway, creator of empire rising(a mod you included and didnt ask to put in this download). Why are you asking for donations for someone elses work?! A lot of my friends made these mods and they aren't recieiving a cent from those donations. Im asking you to kindly either remove the donation option or me and several of the mod authors of the battlefront community will take action and get valve involved.

He just answered someone 3 hours ago so he does keep up with comments. I think it would encourage him to remove donations if some of you guys posted a civil statement as well.
xap4o
Filthy Thief
Filthy Thief

Post by xap4o »

I am so sorry for that. I added this option yesterday and didn't understand that this can hurt the developers. Glad that you reported about that so quickly. Ultimate Pack is only a package of best maps and mods maded for easy installation and unforgettable experience for Star Wars fans. I have no permissions to ask for donation. Sorry, it will not happen again.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

You should add the authors of the mods/maps in your description.

In my opinion the only one who should get donations is guru. He pays for keeping this site.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

DMCA Takedown Notice Filed.
No permission to post it without even mentioning where it came from, editing files so no mention of coders and the site
That has spent years developing these mods.

If you want to donate to keep gametoast alive that's great please
Feel free to with our PayPal address guru@gametoast.com

Accepting donations with no credit is Diet Dr. Pepper. And is the reason I'm pulling it from steam page now
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin

Post by guru »

He has been making money pretending to be the creator of these
Mods and taking time to make sure none of the credits are in place for each mod and its actual creator.
He can donate to gametoast if he wants to support real modders but I don't see
That happening so the reality is instead of him sharing others work and promoting the people who did days and years of work
He posted it without a thought and added fuel to the fire with a donation link. Bad intentions no matter how you sugar coat it
xap4o
Filthy Thief
Filthy Thief

Post by xap4o »

Guru is right, this is my fault with donation. Steam will 100% delete my guide, so I see no reason to add credits now.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin

Post by guru »

yea why did you remove credits to being with. Yes your files will be removed today
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

I have heard about this Ultimate Pack from a good friend of mine but had no idea the person was trying to make a quick buck off of other modder's work that they worked so hard to do. I think this is the right way to go but let us say someone re-uploads The Ultimate Pack, credits the modders for the work that they worked hard on and does NOT have a donate button to line their own pockets, would that Ultimate Pack be deleted as well or would that stay up because it credits the modders? I am not saying that I would do this but if someone did re-upload the file, will the same happen to them?
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin

Post by guru »

If credit for the modders is given I don't see any issue because I know personally that some of these mods took months to make so it's just indecent for someone to post them like it's their project and remove mention of 60 modders works. It's not even the money it's
Just rude people offering files and feedback on projects they had nothing to do with and just "accidentally" not mentioning the site or that the entire project was Someone else work. I'm trying to work with steam to see if any money was donated to
This person in which event I'll be submitting copyright infringement notices to LucasArts legal team which is now Disney corporation for legal action.
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

Oh alright, I was just curious to see what you had to say about it, thanks for replying Guru.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

He had been doing this since October of last year and he removed our comments like a weenie. I say guru made the right choice, especially since not a single person was credited and he was taking donations for that period of time it seems.

To those that have been linked back to this thread not normally from gametoast, I understand that you might be upset that the download to this guy's steam page will probably be taken down soon and you need to understand that we aren't trying to be the mean tyrants attacking an anthology of great mods or trying to take something away from you. These mods were created by dozens of other people and they have always been free to the public. Its not right that something that so many people worked on were not being credited. If you want a legit page that shares great mods and respects/credits the authors:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =137243551

and these youtube channels:
https://www.youtube.com/user/BattlefrontJDgamer
https://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant
https://www.youtube.com/user/UltimateGamerSidious
https://www.youtube.com/user/malmeda2
and of course
www.google.com
Chadaface
Private

Post by Chadaface »

shameful behavior on part of these mod pirates.
xap4o
Filthy Thief
Filthy Thief

Post by xap4o »

You said about "money", but I only added Steam trading button. I do not think that items in Steam Marketplace, like wallpapers and smiles that people alrerady bought from Valve, can be classified like that. This button I added yesterday and I thought that people understand that this option for the guide, not for mods and maps it included. I didn't change maps names and all mods included in the Pack are named in desctiption, so I saw no reason in credits, and I admit that this was a mistake. I never wrote that I made this mods/maps and users understood that. I have not trading with other people since January 2014, so, as you can see, I got nothing from this.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

There's a larger, more general issue here than simply profiting off of others' work, and this pack isn't the first to do it (as I alluded to earlier). Not everyone sees this as an issue, I'm sure, but I'm tired of having the work for one mod lumped in with the work for other mods.

For example, I can't count the number of tech support emails for BFX I've fielded from people mistaken about it being part of the Conversion Pack. It's almost gotten a little offensive - I don't want BFX to be thought of as my work, and I'm sure ARC_Commander doesn't want the Conversion Pack counted as his. As a designer or mod maker, you make certain conscious decisions about what you want, how much you want your mod to be. When it's lumped in with a bunch of other things, that's completely diluted.

And of course there's the credit issue. Anytime mods are lumped together like this, it's always - always - going to hide the original authors. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm proud of the efforts I've made, and I like to be able to represent them, for good or for ill. When this is distributed outside the channels the makers originally publish these things on, it destroys any chance of meaningful communication between the users and the developers, which is the only way we can represent our work.

Having said that, people are gonna be people. This kind of thing is going to happen, unfortunately. The issue at hand is bigger than just "overtly profiting off of you," in my eyes.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

To be honest, I dont know how long the trading option was on there. Still I did not give permission for use of my mod in this package becuase its not a finished mod and I was not credited for the two years of work ive put into it. A lot of other people helped and they didnt get credited either. As long as its in the download I will continue to have a problem with it. Im sure users know you didnt create all the mods, but becuase of the lack of credits, how will they know who helped make those fun mods for them? All you did was put a bunch of popular mods together and expected to get praise for it. Its the modders who made those mods possible and if you had read the credits in some of these mods, some authors clearly state not to post alternate links without permission. Also judging from those pictures some units from different mods are in maps they weren"t in originally. Its not agianst the law to use a tool to mix and match units from different mods, but some things were not intended to be melded together. If that link were to stay up, you would have to get permission from a lot of people, some who are inactive right now.
Last edited by TWINKEYRUNAWAY on Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
xap4o
Filthy Thief
Filthy Thief

Post by xap4o »

Ok, I understand your position, I deleted the guide and it will not be uploaded again. Sorry for making troubles.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin

Post by guru »

I didn't realize the guy had Actively been Deleting real modders questions and anyone who mentioned it sent his work. A decent person should put the pack back up for offer with no donations and give proper respect to
The modders ...not for pay but because the mods
Should live on past greed
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

xap4o wrote:Ok, I understand your position, I deleted the guide and it will not be uploaded again. Sorry for making troubles.
I want to just say "thanks" for this, seriously. Like I mentioned on your page, your tool is legitimately a good one. I wish you'd contacted me (or the other authors) earlier in your process - again, speaking only for myself, I'd probably have been happy to find a way to work with you or support you if you'd made contact from the start.