"Coruscant City" map crashes in Multiplayer

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

SnakeEyesRaw
Private
Projects :: Various personal side mods
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 - JKA - KotOR

"Coruscant City" map crashes in Multiplayer

Post by SnakeEyesRaw »

I like to play local multiplayer with my brother, so when I came across a really well-made map called Coruscant City I got excited to play it with him. I initially booted it up in Instant Action to test it myself, and it worked perfectly. Then, when I hosted a local session, my brother's game crashed when he joined. We tried everything to fix it, but we did so in vain. It only crashes when he selects his faction, and he never experiences any problems on other modded maps. My game doesn't crash when his does; it seems the host does just fine. We tried having him host and I join, but the same happened. I joined, chose my faction, I crashed. He stayed in the game.

Apparently others have been having the same problem, as seen on the map's page on Filefront.

I contacted Rends, the map's creator, but he said he simply said he couldn't help me and told me to post on here.

If any of you can tell me how to fix it or what I can try, I would be very grateful. This has been bugging me for a while now.

-Only the joining player crashes
-Map never crashes for host or when playing alone
-Tried reinstalling the map, even redownloading/reinstalling

Map's overview and download page on Filefront:
http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... City;57986

Any help would be much appreciated.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Re: "Coruscant City" map crashes in Multiplayer

Post by Kingpin »

You could munge a new script that just reads the map's .LVL and deathregions. I do this with my brother, so we can play people's maps with different units.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by razac920 »

Yeah, like Kingpin said, I suspect there is something MP-incompatible in the mission scripts for that map. If you were to write your own script that loaded this map, that might work, though without knowing the names of the CPs I suspect you could only play some sort of TDM, not conquest.
SnakeEyesRaw
Private

Post by SnakeEyesRaw »

Therein lies a problem, because I don't know very much about modding yet.
Kingpin wrote:You could munge a new script that just reads the map's .LVL and deathregions. I do this with my brother, so we can play people's maps with different units.
Stupid question: How do I do that?
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

You can get the names of the CPs by looking at the mod's mission.lvl in a hex editor.

I'm not sure if it's level named CO1 or CO2, but what ever one it is, you can search for in hex editor on the mission.lvl.

When you find the beginning of the script (etc: co2g_con or co2c_con) you can scroll down shortly and see the names of command posts that is required to win.
SnakeEyesRaw
Private

Post by SnakeEyesRaw »

Alright, I'm gonna try this. I might need more guidance from you guys later though; I'm kind of new to this stuff.
Rends
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Rends »

Hi,
It's sad that i can't help but i made the maps a long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
Well the map was ported from SWBF1 so it might be possible that there was something left from the original release that might creates problems in SWBF2. But i remember that i Played the map in MP without troubles and so did others.
Before you go on with editing any stuff i suggest to do some basic tests. Reduce the graphic settings and shadows and see if this makes some difference. I remember that helped people playing maps ( not special to Coruscant city) but that was several years ago with older hardware. I also remember that the map crashed the dedicated server in SWBF1 if the sound folder was installed. Try to remove or rename that folder.
It's only a shot in the blue but with some luck it might help you.
SnakeEyesRaw
Private

Post by SnakeEyesRaw »

Thank you. I'll take a look and see if any of these work.

EDIT
Rends wrote:Reduce the graphic settings and shadows and see if this makes some difference.
Tried reducing all settings to the minimum. No luck.
Rends wrote:I also remember that the map crashed the dedicated server in SWBF1 if the sound folder was installed. Try to remove or rename that folder.
In the Battlefront 2 port, this folder does not exist.