Poll regarding my current/next mod project

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

What kind of NJO project should Jedimoose32 pursue?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:54 pm

NJO Side Mod
No votes
NJO Era/Side & Maps
11%
NJO Galactic Conquest
No votes
NJO Mini Campaign (2-3 missions)
22%
NJO Full Campaign (4-8 missions)
56%
Only release side assets
No votes
Nothing!
11%

Total votes: 9
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Poll regarding my current/next mod project

Post by jedimoose32 »

Hi everyone.

I'm at a point in my current mod project where I've put in a fair amount of work, but not so much that it would hurt to drop the project and work on something different. However if I go much further I will have reached the point where I would definitely want to see the project through to completion or else feel like I've wasted my time.

For the past couple months I've been working on some "Legends" New Jedi Order era content and I'm not 100% sure what to do with it. I've tossed around a few ideas, which are listed in the poll attached to this topic.

I want to make something that you guys will enjoy and I know that there are many people who really dislike the NJO era. I've had a lot of fun and learned tons in the process of making all the stuff I've got so far, so I won't feel like that stuff is wasted if I end up working on a different project.

I'm hoping you guys will tell me what you'd like to see, if anything. If you think there's something I haven't put in the poll options, or if you want to say more about this, definitely reply with a post.

You guys are awesome. :thumbs:
Nedarb7
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Poll regarding my current/next mod project

Post by Nedarb7 »

I'd love to see a campaign! :D
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I can't seem to vote.

I'd start small and work up. Either get a nice balanced set of teams done, or make new maps. New maps is something we need more than more era mods (he said hypocritically).

Setting up a CGC is easy if you just use the stock planets.

Campaigns on the other hand, that can takes weeks of effort for each mission.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

Yeah definitely. My aim so far has been to start with the basics and not get ahead of myself. Right now I have sides that are just in the process of being balanced. So that's ongoing.

What are your thoughts on the NJO era in general?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

I can't vote either. :o It probably has something to do with the StarWars Gametoast board theme.

I'd focus on making new maps, balancing the teams, and, if you have time, maybe 2 or 3 campaign missions.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

jedimoose32 wrote:What are your thoughts on the NJO era in general?

I wasn't going to bring it up, but now that you asked...

Starting with the New Jedi Order and every series chronologically after it (like Legacy of the Force), is awful. NJO was so bad it literally almost made me stop being a Star Wars fan. It wasn't til I read the Thrawn Trilogy did I get forever hooked into the universe.

I somewhat respect NJO for trying to do something different (I'll never fault anyone for that specifically), but it just doesn't work for me. I didn't feel like I was reading Star Wars novels anymore.

It especially contrasts with books like the Thrawn Trilogy, where I feel they fit right in with the spirit of the universe.

The best thing I can say about the NJO era, is that at least it's not the Legacy era. NJO bores and annoys me. Legacy era pisses me off. Especially Sacrifice.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

THEWULFMAN wrote:I wasn't going to bring it up, but now that you asked...
I asked because I wanted to know. Thanks for your frank response.
THEWULFMAN wrote:The best thing I can say about the NJO era, is that at least it's not the Legacy era. ... Legacy era pisses me off. Especially Sacrifice.
I definitely share your view of Legacy, if not NJO. Turning Jacen to the dark side and killing Mara was very nearly the end of my Star Wars fanhood. I liked the broader story of NJO more than the individual books, mostly - I'll admit that a lot of the books did not feel like they fit in the universe.

But, I digress. Thanks for telling me your thoughts. Both your and Marth's comments are causing me to re-think a lot of this, which is good. :)

Still open to other thoughts from people!
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

jedimoose32 wrote:I liked the broader story of NJO more than the individual books

I can say I at least enjoyed Destiny's Way with the Battle of Ebaq 9.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

Agreed. Ackbar & Kre'fey nailed it.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Personally, the main reason I like the series is because of the much-needed character development it brings about. I dunno, I felt that once the Empire was mostly defeated everyone just kind of coasted along and never really grew/changed. Through the series, Jacen's view of the Force changes, Han grows significantly, Jaina really proves herself, Luke and Mara face and overcome several personal struggles, Ganner gets an attitude overhaul, Kyp gets a dose of reality, etc. Maybe the execution of all that was not as good as it could have been. *shrugs*
ZoomV
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Projects :: Old Republic Map pack
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 SWTOR and GW2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by ZoomV »

I don't really have issues with what they did to the protagonists in NJO, I do have a issue with the antagonists, specifically the Yuuzhan Vong. The Vong are as a antagonist basically Alien invaders from outer space, in a universe already filled with aliens. Like seriously?

That said I do like how the Fate of the Jedi series tried to tie all of the post ROTJ EU together into something resembling comprehensible.(although that abeloth thing was getting way too far into the trippy force voodoo category) But in the end I'm kind of glad Disney through it all out the window.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

ZoomV wrote:But in the end I'm kind of glad Disney through it all out the window.

I have no words. Just an image.
Hidden/Spoiler:
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

Yep.

ZoomV do you have any thoughts on my original question?
ZoomV
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Projects :: Old Republic Map pack
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 SWTOR and GW2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by ZoomV »

On the original? Honestly the game needs more maps rather than era mods. Campaigns and conquests are nice, but its a ton of work for not enough replay value imo.

Regardless of what people think of a era, mods are made by their gameplay not lore.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

ZoomV wrote:mods are made by their gameplay not lore.
Thanks for bringing that up. That's a really good point that's been floating around in my head for the last little while that I haven't been able to properly articulate in writing.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

ZoomV wrote:Regardless of what people think of a era, mods are made by their gameplay not lore.

I agree. Only reason why I brought up lore is because I was asked.

Though that being said, I have to like the lore to want to make the mod in the first place, but it won't stop me from playing a well made mod.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

Yeah. That's fair, Wulfman. I don't think anyone would reasonably expect you or anybody else to make a mod around lore that you hate. Given everyone's opinions so far, and my own feelings on the subject, I'll probably continue with the sides and see how things go with a few maps.