For All, what do you like/dislike about mods/maps?

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

For All, what do you like/dislike about mods/maps?

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

I never released a mod map but would like to, but it would be something different and probably not done before. When I do I would like to think hat sucky aspects are at a min. Can't please everyone but everyone is in mind.

I want to ask the public what is disliked the most.
My personal turn offs are:

1) lack of characters/content (like 4 or 5 dudes per side or less)
2) ammo limits - love the BFX mod, really dislike having 8 missiles for ships -- biggest turn off
3) too much distance with lack of vehicles
4) invisible collision where there could still be playing space, for humans at least
5) fly heights , where there could be more playing space for humans
6) not being able to reduce bots in game settings (if you want an uber map, make an xl mode!)
7) objects that have more geometry you cannot see (like the Coruscant pillars)
8) missing shipped sounds -- this is kinda ok, I know some can't do it, I still can't
9) too many nature effects, some of us have rusty computers

I have not tried all mods or maps(yet), but some that stand out are/I like really well:

Conversion Pack
BFX
Spacefall
Rends' Mos Eisley Space port (well all of Rends levels)
Star Destroyer Map
Space to Ground packs
123 mod (the thing that adds every game mode to every stock level)
Marvel4 BF1 Conversion pack
Red vs Blue (where u can dispense blocks and swamp speeders)
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Re: For All, what do you like/dislike about mods/maps?

Post by Anakin »

anthonybf2 wrote:I never released a mod map but would like to, but it would be something different and probably not done before. When I do I would like to think hat sucky aspects are at a min. Can't please everyone but everyone is in mind.

I want to ask the public what is disliked the most.
My personal turn offs are:

1) lack of characters/content (like 4 or 5 dudes per side or less)
I don't like if there are too many units per side that have all the same weapons.
2) ammo limits - love the BFX mod, really dislike having 8 missiles for ships -- biggest turn off
I hate overheat weapon. So i'd prefere ammo limits.
3) too much distance with lack of vehicles
too big maps in general
4) invisible collision where there could still be playing space, for humans at least
or for fire. I don't like the stock collisions on coruscant for example. You cannot shoot trough the pilars.
5) fly heights , where there could be more playing space for humans
6) not being able to reduce bots in game settings (if you want an uber map, make an xl mode!)
7) objects that have more geometry you cannot see (like the Coruscant pillars)
8) missing shipped sounds -- this is kinda ok, I know some can't do it, I still can't
Or displaced sounds (big weapon with the sound of the probe droid)
9) too many nature effects, some of us have rusty computers

I have not tried all mods or maps(yet), but some that stand out are/I like really well:

Conversion Pack
BFX
Spacefall
Rends' Mos Eisley Space port (well all of Rends levels)
Star Destroyer Map
Space to Ground packs
123 mod (the thing that adds every game mode to every stock level)
Marvel4 BF1 Conversion pack
Red vs Blue (where u can dispense blocks and swamp speeders)
Maps mods that got too less work for a quick release. Take the time you need.
hunpeter12
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Underground City The Complex [WIP]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by hunpeter12 »

1) Not changing default sky/textures :P
2) Lack of fine touches (loadscreen, proper localization etc.)
3) Redundant classes (two classes have basically the same wepons/specs)
4) I'm also against too big maps
5) Boring visuals, repetition
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

hunpeter12 wrote: 2) Lack of fine touches (loadscreen, proper localization etc.)
:yes: I realy hate maps that only localize in english. I think you should do the work and should add the english names to the other languages, too. So don't let the french, german, italien,.. fields empty. File in the english names there too.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

I have only three real pet peeves:
  • Maps that have custom units. Seriously. At this point there are more maps with someone's custom units (usually not very good ones) than there are with the stock ones. Unless you have a good reason for having custom units (such as your map being in a TV/comic/book location with a specific clone legion) consider using either stock sides *or* just adding era support for stuff like BFX.
  • Huge maps. There's a darn good reason the stock maps are the size they are. I don't want to be killed in the middle of a battle only to respawn at the furthest checkpoint with no vehicles nearby. Then I have to take like two minutes to get back to the battle
  • Maps with huge reinforcements. Again, there's a reason the numbers are small on the stock maps. I want 10-15 minutes of gameplay at a time. If I want more, I'll use the Fake Console in 1.3 to add reinforcements. I don't want to be forced into a 40 minute game.
ZoomV
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Projects :: Old Republic Map pack
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 SWTOR and GW2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by ZoomV »

To be honest I prefer ubermode for anything that isn't a overly compact map. Battlefront never had enough going on, and to me at least I find it very annoying to have maps where I can just Rambo the enemy line, leave all my friendly AI behind and just solo cap CPs. (read every stock map in the game)

War is chaotic and while I can understand why you don't want to emulate real battle conditions (dying because of bad luck leads to frustration) I feel like players should feel like they are running a gauntlet.

I also like the high but reasonable reinforcement maps, because I honestly just enjoy running around shooting and don't like it when things end too quick.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I'm sick of and hate mods based on the clone wars era.

Wait.. crap

commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

I like:
  • Big Battles, as long as there's stuff to do everywhere.
  • Custom Units, if they're well balanced and done right. But they're not a requirement for a map.
  • Canon Accuracy
  • There being a reason to do stuff on the map, don't make a unit or vehicle completely pointless to use.
  • Good skins and models.
  • A proportionally correct amount of AI units. If the map is small, have a small unit count, if the map is large, have a large unit count.
  • Something new that hasn't already been done a million times.
  • Anything with Sereja's name on it.
I dislike:
  • Huge maps with a small amount of units.
  • "Realistic" weaponry, I don't want to die every two seconds.
  • Small maps with tons of units.
  • Visual inconsistency.
  • Overused planets, scenes and ideas. Do you know how many Geonosis maps there are?
  • Lack of localisation.
  • Tons of bugs.
  • Maps with useless classes and/or vehicles.
  • Heroes being available from the start in an infantry battle.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

I like new mechanics and well-made maps. Combine these two and you've got yourself a wonderful mod.
GAB
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by GAB »

Here are some things that I personally think that can be big turn offs for players when it comes to modmaps:
- Too much walking to get to the action.
- Crappy AI (we know that SWBF2 AI isn't that great but they aren't that dumb either).
- Bad object placement.
- Lack of balance (Impossible to win with one team and guaranteed victory for the other team)
- Excessive amount of AI units.
And finally:
- Lack of proper work on lighting (It is through light that we see all the things. The way your map will look is directly proportional to the quality of the work you've done on lighting)

BONUS: things I personally think that can make a good map great:
- Some smart sound touches
- Use of those odf flares (They can make a map look really cool if used inteligently)
- Use of well made models.
- Foliage
- Animations (The ones done in Zero Editor)
- Attention to the smallest details.
- And lots of creativity.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

Things I like in maps:
-Creative ideas in units, not just a re-make of a clone legion
-Heroes with new combos (my favorite thing. ever.)
-Balanced teams (not just a really awesome clone team with the stock CIS)
-While still creative, not too far-fetched from the Star Wars universe, unless it's not supposed to be Star Wars
-Expanded Universe characters / locations
-HD visuals (Thanks Marth for making every single stock map look dated now >_> )
-Maps that are mostly custom models (RAS Prosecutor is great, and while some maps do a good job transforming stock assets, like Kotholis, most times it looks just bland)

Things I dislike:
-Stock units (the first four are fine, but maybe at least add a new one or two, like the convo pack)
-Large battle maps (unless executed very well, but most of the large maps on Convo pack are kinda...iffy)
-bugs
-missing localisation and loadscreens
-When people just take a bunch of stuff from the assets release thread and morph it into a map
Zapattack1234
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: The Wrecked Graveyard_Amongst the Ruins
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1 and 2
xbox live or psn: xbla:Rehmfire49

Post by Zapattack1234 »

Teancum wrote:I have only three real pet peeves:
  • Maps that have custom units. Seriously. At this point there are more maps with someone's custom units (usually not very good ones) than there are with the stock ones. Unless you have a good reason for having custom units (such as your map being in a TV/comic/book location with a specific clone legion) consider using either stock sides *or* just adding era support for stuff like BFX.
  • Huge maps. There's a darn good reason the stock maps are the size they are. I don't want to be killed in the middle of a battle only to respawn at the furthest checkpoint with no vehicles nearby. Then I have to take like two minutes to get back to the battle
  • Maps with huge reinforcements. Again, there's a reason the numbers are small on the stock maps. I want 10-15 minutes of gameplay at a time. If I want more, I'll use the Fake Console in 1.3 to add reinforcements. I don't want to be forced into a 40 minute game.
^^^^^^This
The Nasal Abyss
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Currently Working on an Indie Game
Games I'm Playing :: Splatoon 2
xbox live or psn: Stm: Tight Verbage

Post by The Nasal Abyss »

Highly controversial opinion here; I dislike pretty much 95% of custom sides/units. They are generally not made as balanced or well as the original sides. There are a couple of mods and maps that manage to pull it off, but those are rare cases.

Edit: Also, clone legion mods. Dear goodness, there's already 14 million of them. PLEASE DON'T MAKE MORE.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

The Nasal Abyss wrote:Edit: Also, clone legion mods. Dear goodness, there's already 14 million of them. PLEASE DON'T MAKE MORE.

Haha right oh boy I'm glad no one is making any of those anymore.

The Nasal Abyss
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Currently Working on an Indie Game
Games I'm Playing :: Splatoon 2
xbox live or psn: Stm: Tight Verbage

Post by The Nasal Abyss »

THEWULFMAN wrote:
The Nasal Abyss wrote:Edit: Also, clone legion mods. Dear goodness, there's already 14 million of them. PLEASE DON'T MAKE MORE.

Haha right oh boy I'm glad no one is making any of those anymore.

Yours is a special case. Change in art style and fairly unprecedented unit features (if I recall correctly). Just make them play well. Don't disappoint me. :P
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

You know what kind of mods I really *hate*? Total conversion mods, especially and specifically those that are based on Mass Effect. :u

Nah but seriously though...

Dislike:
- Lack of polish
- Lack of proper sound design, but ESPECIALLY lack of AT LEAST an ambient sound stream (seriously, there's almost zero excuse to not have one, especially since you can just load a stock one)
- Lack of loadscreen
- Lack of decent level design (no "magic"/"wow" moments; also, every level should appeal to and include paths for all play-styles such as assault, sniping/stealth, and support/tank-busting [the latter of which could be paired with assault])
- Lack of lighting (why is this still such a common issue, like really, it's SO easy, especially when you can just copy over any stock map's main LGT file and rename it to your map's ID)
- Lack of planning/barriers/hintnodes (there is literally no excuse for this unless somehow creating these things is not possible in your case)

Like:
- Polish and attention to detail
- Scripted events that add to the experience rather than detract from it
- Well-thought-out level design that makes sense and makes me want to come back for more
- I don't care what kind of sides a map has as long as it's fun (though Clone Legion X is still pretty annoying to see *constantly*)
- Great lighting and terrain shading

Love:
- Proper sound design (if you want me to love your map, this is absolutely 100% necessary, even if it's just including an ambient sound stream :P )
- Completely modular levels (with maybe a little terrain if it works)
- HD textures (this is 2015, so there isn't much of an excuse not to have this in your custom textures; and yes, Battlefront II is old, but it can handle it perfectly fine, as per every single thing I've ever put out for this game :u [but probably don't go over 1024x1024 unless it's a skydome or terrain texture or something like that])
- Smart use of Battlefront II's material system (normal maps aren't hard to generate thanks to tools like GIMP's normalmap plugin [ https://code.google.com/p/gimp-normalmap/ ] and a nifty little app called CrazyBump [ http://www.crazybump.com/ ]; also environment maps are nice to see every now and then; and I've found that models are shaded better when their materials' ambient color is set to 0,0,0)
- Custom, well-done models
- Smart use of hintnodes (Battlefront II's AI is awful, so we'd might as well at least try to *pretend* it's decent, eh?)
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

Thank you for the tipp with the GIMP plugin. I didn't know that. Is there something like that for Paint.net or PSE you can recommend??
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

No. However, CrazyBump is better than the GIMP plugin anyways, so that'd be the best alternative. :p
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

I took the Nvidia PS plugin. Looks great :D
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Ah. Alright. Yeah, that's the other tool that my school says to use, so great.