Copyright Rules (UPDATED: Jan 12, 2018)

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: NEW POLICY: Copyright Rules

Post by Maveritchell »

Skyhammer_216 wrote:I *think* I've used some assets made by ARC in Dark Space (2 or 3 explosion effects and explosion textures + his invisible mesh made for force power chargeup effects - not sure if he actually made these or not)......since DS is a map-pack and not an era mod is that OK?
I'm assuming ARC_Commander's reasoning behind maps = OK mods = not OK was that he didn't want another mod ripping off chunks of BFX.

Anyway sorry for off-topicness again, and thanks for putting clear copyright rules up. :)
Just remake the effects/textures. I can send you the invisible mesh I use for force power effects (he may use "mine" anyway) if you need it. Dark Space is a mod - it's a large map pack with its own era. It is not just "a map."
Null_1138
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Null_1138 »

These Rules In A Nutshell wrote:If you need to take something, first contact the author and ask permission, then give credits to said author and whomever he says you must also credit. Also be respectful and courteous to the original author; don't ask for or take more than you need. Don't use assets without permission, and don't claim anything that is not yours. Lastly, your readme should include whom you credited, a copyright notice if needed, and your contact information.
Amirite?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

For all intents and purposes, yes. The only thing you forgot is that staff may trump any decisions if they feel someone is borrowing too much stuff and unnecessarily bloating their map/mod with it.
RogueKnight
Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends

Post by RogueKnight »

Teancum wrote:For all intents and purposes, yes. The only thing you forgot is that staff may trump any decisions if they feel someone is borrowing too much stuff and unnecessarily bloating their map/mod with it.
So would this make VF501's release A-ok? Since it is from another Star Wars game, and it is only three weapons?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

RogueKnight wrote:
Teancum wrote:For all intents and purposes, yes. The only thing you forgot is that staff may trump any decisions if they feel someone is borrowing too much stuff and unnecessarily bloating their map/mod with it.
So would this make VF501's release A-ok? Since it is from another Star Wars game, and it is only three weapons?
If we've already said something is not okay, this post doesn't change anything. This is only a clarification and not a truly "new" policy.
skelltor
Sith
Sith
Projects :: BFSM
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII
xbox live or psn: skelltor95

Post by skelltor »

so what is the say on the bfx assests ..... a no go until arcs permission is recived???
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by mswf »

Yes, unless you conform to the exceptions outlined here for BFX assets specifically.
skelltor
Sith
Sith

Post by skelltor »

ok thx
if that happens will the modder/mapper be able to rerelease it with less taken stuff
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

skelltor wrote:ok thx
if that happens will the modder/mapper be able to rerelease it with less taken stuff
Maybe, maybe not. The point is - don't push it. If you are in doubt, make your own assets. It's that easy.
skelltor
Sith
Sith

Post by skelltor »

ok thanks
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

And let me get at this, too. Your map will not be any better if you use lots of assets from other games -- not unless it truly makes a difference. I'm saying this because it's a huge problem in modding communities. Lots of maps that could be awesome have every custom asset crammed into the map, but the basics that make a map great -- AI pathing, hint nodes, correct sounds, and balancing -- get overlooked for the sake of adding "cool stuff".

So what I'm saying is that even though we have this new policy don't think that some custom model or sound can save your mod or map if you haven't already focused on the basics. Custom assets can build off the basics, but it can't replace them.

Long story short, make your map/mod great before you start going nuts with custom assets, then it won't be a total waste.
RogueKnight
Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends

Post by RogueKnight »

Teancum wrote:And let me get at this, too. Your map will not be any better if you use lots of assets from other games -- not unless it truly makes a difference. I'm saying this because it's a huge problem in modding communities. Lots of maps that could be awesome have every custom asset crammed into the map, but the basics that make a map great -- AI pathing, hint nodes, correct sounds, and balancing -- get overlooked for the sake of adding "cool stuff".

So what I'm saying is that even though we have this new policy don't think that some custom model or sound can save your mod or map if you haven't already focused on the basics. Custom assets can build off the basics, but it can't replace them.

Long story short, make your map/mod great before you start going nuts with custom assets, then it won't be a total waste.
You should add that to this topic.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

skelltor wrote:idk if this would be missuseing the email admins only feature but could an admin email arc and just kindly tell hm that some gamtoast members want to use his assests and if he was not going to be on the site anymore if he woulde please remove the permisssion onaly for any mods thing?
What exactly do you want from his assets? Odds are you can get 99% of what you need from other asset packs.
StarkillerMarek
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel

Post by StarkillerMarek »

Man, this is a lot of rules to be remembered. Better get the old hammer and start pounding it in to my head(thats the only way I remember things).
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

StarkillerMarek wrote:Man, this is a lot of rules to be remembered. Better get the old hammer and start pounding it in to my head(thats the only way I remember things).
This is not a lot to remember. It's really, really easy to follow if you simply don't use stuff you didn't make. This is completely feasible, and one is only holding himself back if he goes to the released assets forum like he's going grocery shopping.

Even if you do want to use someone else's assets, this boils down to "don't be a jerk." If they were your assets you'd want credit for your work (work that is apparently difficult enough for the end-user to not want to take the time to duplicate), so do the same.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Maveritchell wrote:This is not a lot to remember. It's really, really easy to follow if you simply don't use stuff you didn't make.
Not everyone can do that, Mav. I've been modding games for 10+ years and I still can't get the hang of modeling.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Teancum wrote:
Maveritchell wrote:This is not a lot to remember. It's really, really easy to follow if you simply don't use stuff you didn't make.
Not everyone can do that, Mav. I've been modding games for 10+ years and I still can't get the hang of modeling.
I know - my only point was that there doesn't have to be any rules to remember re: copyright. There is a simple option (skill requirement nonwithstanding). :)

That being said none of the work for this game requires a huge time investment to learn (to master, yes, but that is a different story and we have no real "masters" of any craft here). Any of these things can be done with a little practice and perseverance.
Sky_216
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Sky_216 »

Maveritchell wrote:
Teancum wrote:
I know - my only point was that there doesn't have to be any rules to remember re: copyright. There is a simple option (skill requirement nonwithstanding). :)

That being said none of the work for this game requires a huge time investment to learn (to master, yes, but that is a different story and we have no real "masters" of any craft here). Any of these things can be done with a little practice and perseverance.
I think there's a bit of a difference in what you call "a little practice and perseverance" and what some would call that though. It's easier to "make something yourself" when you're at least decent at almost every kind of modding.
And there's at least one exception - if you can't get PE to work at all making effects with wordpad/notepad++ is.....an interesting and hugely frustrating experience to say the least.

That said yes the rules do seem simple enough.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Skyhammer_216 wrote:I think there's a bit of a difference in what you call "a little practice and perseverance" and what some would call that though. It's easier to "make something yourself" when you're at least decent at almost every kind of modding.
Lest this go off on too much of a tangent, let me clarify myself by saying that I don't mean to trivialize the investment it takes to learn to do anything nor do I mean to denigrate those who do not. Since tone does not convey itself well via text, please let it suffice to say that "the easy answer is to do it yourself" is a lighthearted offhand comment to point out that rules that seem complex can be made infinitely simpler by removing yourself from under their jurisdiction.

In short, don't read too much into a joke. I think it's a great thing when someone has complete horizontal control over the aspects of their mod, but the rules are there because we know (and expect) people to need to use other assets they did not make.
skelltor
Sith
Sith

Post by skelltor »

Teancum wrote:
skelltor wrote:idk if this would be missuseing the email admins only feature but could an admin email arc and just kindly tell hm that some gamtoast members want to use his assests and if he was not going to be on the site anymore if he woulde please remove the permisssion onaly for any mods thing?
What exactly do you want from his assets? Odds are you can get 99% of what you need from other asset packs.
modeling i just cant get it and animations other stuff i can find or make

edit just a quick ? if i just look at some of his odfs to get an idea for like how fast the wepon fired do i need his permission?