How Well Will SWBF2 Run on This Computer?

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

SG-17
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

How Well Will SWBF2 Run on This Computer?

Post by SG-17 »

I am going to be buying a new computer and price is a major factor. I am not going to use it to play alot of games, mainly SWBF2 and Civilization 4. I also hope to use it to make maps for SWBF2. Besides that it will mainly be a web browser and word processor for me since I am going to college in 2010.
This is the computer.:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6883114070
I can add an additional 2 gb of RAM to it for only $25 so that really is not an issue, the main things are the processor and graphics.

Also I heard that there were some compatibility issues with the mod tools and the DVD version of SWBF2, is this something I should worry about when buying the game for PC?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: How Well Will SWBF2 Run on This Computer?

Post by Maveritchell »

You should be fine. I have a 1.25 GHz processor, and a five-year-old AIW Radeon 9200 card, and I can run Battlefront II fine. It looks like the specs for your new PC eclipse both of those.

We also have fixes for the DVD version of the ModTools. The only pervasive problem we have with the modtools is a currently-unsolved set of issues users may have using them with Vista.
EA711
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by EA711 »

If you are going to mod you may need a bigger hard drive. I would not buy that PC though :?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

EA711 wrote:If you are going to mod you may need a bigger hard drive. I would not buy that PC though :?
Incidentally, that hard drive is also bigger than mine, and I have plenty of space left over.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

I agree that you should be able to run the game without any real problems. I run the game on a graphic card that's probably a good five years old, maybe more (ATI Radeon 9550) and a computer that's at least six years old and hasn't had a single hardware update since it was put together besides the aforementioned graphic card.
EA711 wrote:If you are going to mod you may need a bigger hard drive. I would not buy that PC though :?
As long as you aren't keeping large numbers of large mods sitting around on your computer, hard drive space shouldn't be a huge problem. Yes, work-in-progress maps and mods can take up a good chunk of space, but as long as you keep only a few of them on your computer and don't clutter them up with copies of unnecessary files you should be fine, and will probably even have plenty of leftover space.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Eggman wrote:As long as you aren't keeping large numbers of large mods sitting around on your computer, hard drive space shouldn't be a huge problem. Yes, work-in-progress maps and mods can take up a good chunk of space, but as long as you keep only a few of them on your computer and don't clutter them up with copies of unnecessary files you should be fine, and will probably even have plenty of leftover space.
200+ GB is a lot of space - I understand that media can eat up a lot of space, but mods will not, even unfinished ones. As mentioned above, I have less HD space than the PC in question, and I have a huge amount of archived assets as well as 20 map's worth of unarchived full data folders (including the Conversion Pack and Dark Times). I have my HD probably only 40% full, total.
SG-17
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Post by SG-17 »

I plan on installing Windows XP right after I get it. Also it is a Single Core, will that really matter if all I am going to play is SWBF2?

Why wouldn't you buy it?
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

SG-17 wrote:I plan on installing Windows XP right after I get it. Also it is a Single Core, will that really matter if all I am going to play is SWBF2?
Not at all.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Looks like you're more than covering the specs. Of course, you're also buying an eMachines, so expect something major to break within the first 1-2 years. No joke. If you haven't bought it yet, don't. About 80% of the computers I either work on or get for parts are eMachines, and most of the time when they fail it's a major failure. Do yourself a favor and don't go with them.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Uhh, Tean? I have an eMachines. It runs perfectly fine, if not rather slow, but that can be expected with a 4+ year-old comp with 1 gig of RAM. The fan is really annoying though.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

You're insinuating that I said all eMachines break. I didn't. I said most. The evidence is out there to back it up as well. If yours works well then great.
EA711
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by EA711 »

SG-17 wrote:I plan on installing Windows XP right after I get it. Also it is a Single Core, will that really matter if all I am going to play is SWBF2?

Why wouldn't you buy it?
They sell eMachines in Tesco, (Tesco is a super market in the UK) I don't know about you but I would not buy a computer from a manufacturer that sells in super markets :roll:

To be honest I would not even buy a ready made PC of the shelf, I would custom build it, there is a lot more to a computer than a hard drive, ram, processor and a graphics card. Just my opion though.

Putting XP on it is a good ideas because Vista realy kills performance, Microsoft said it was better for games :x
SG-17
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Post by SG-17 »

I think that I will wait to build a new computer then. I am going to get an original Xbox and SWBFII for about $50 and softmod that if I can.
I just need to know if I need Gold to get the map pack.
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

If you are just looking for a cheap computer for simple tasks, keep an eye on Freecycle and Craigslist. Sometimes you can get great deals. Also, there tend to be a lot of back to school sales near the end of Summer and the start of Fall. If you can hold out that long, you might find a better computer at the same price. Slickdeals is a good place to watch for deals and I've gotten over $200 back by using FatWallet.

If you are going to be installing your own copy of Windows XP, you can complain a bit and get a refund for Vista.
Caleb1117
2008 Most Original Avatar

Post by Caleb1117 »

Teancum wrote:Looks like you're more than covering the specs. Of course, you're also buying an eMachines, so expect something major to break within the first 1-2 years. No joke. If you haven't bought it yet, don't. About 80% of the computers I either work on or get for parts are eMachines, and most of the time when they fail it's a major failure. Do yourself a favor and don't go with them.
Thats for sure.