The MOD/MAP Idea thread

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Rebel Colonel
Projects :: Lots of unreleased stuff
Games I'm Playing :: Life
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: The MOD/MAP Idea thread

Postby bobfinkl » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:53 pm

All those old wars wouldn't be too good, just think about the reload time, gameplay would be horrible, and besides the tactics they used then would be impossible to recreate in bf2. Although ww1 may work out but it'd be still with odd gameplay and impossibly dumb AI.

Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Postby Fiodis » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:09 pm

Yeah, for example the Musket the British used in the Revolutionary War was notoriously unreliable aim-wise, so they were trained to all fire in unison. Now, I'm not an expert with LUA coding, but to me it seems very, very hard, if not impossible, to program AI to march in groups of 10-20 soldiers and fire concentrated volleys.

But that's if you want it historically accurate. If you take creative license to give it BF-style gameplay, great idea there.

Rebel Sergeant

Postby vampire_lord » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:09 pm

What I would really like to see is an Aliens vs Star Wars mod, imagine it, Clone/Storm Troopers aganist a horde of Xenomorphs, I have a rough idea of how the aliens would work (mostly melee units), the only problem is that Battlefront engine doesn't seem to support wall crawling.

Jedi High Council
Projects :: I should probably start one...
Games I'm Playing :: TOR AC
xbox live or psn: ShadowScorch88

Postby Twilight_Warrior » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:18 pm

I was playing through BFI the other day, and I came across something interesting...the crouch.
If you crouch twice, your character lies down and can start crawling.
In theory, could one do that for BFII?

Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Postby Grev » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:28 pm

Twilight_Warrior wrote:I was playing through BFI the other day, and I came across something interesting...the crouch.

Yes, but your aim reticule would stay in the same place as crouch, so you could hide behind a crate and still shoot.

2008 Most Technically Challenging Avatar
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends

Postby obiboba3po » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:56 pm

Grev wrote:
Twilight_Warrior wrote:I was playing through BFI the other day, and I came across something interesting...the crouch.

Yes, but your aim reticule would stay in the same place as crouch, so you could hide behind a crate and still shoot.

really? i thought it was completely impossible in BFII (or very very improbable rather)

High General

Postby Commander_Fett » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:35 am

I believe the admins have staeted many times it's not possible in bf2.

Hoth Battle Chief
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Postby Fluffy_the_ic » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:17 am

Commander_Fett wrote:I believe the admins have staeted many times it's not possible in bf2.

Uhh, they stated it the way Grev did. But you would automatically go prone, you wouldn't get to crouch first.

Field Commander

Postby YaNkFaN » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:12 pm

prone was removed in BF2 because of the deadlines to complete the game and the all new jedi animations i believe it is possible but extremely difficult because u need to make new animations for every single unit

Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Naboo Selton

Postby AQT » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:59 pm

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:
Commander_Fett wrote:I believe the admins have staeted many times it's not possible in bf2.

Uhh, they stated it the way Grev did. But you would automatically go prone, you wouldn't get to crouch first.

Yep, the Rebel Recon unit in the Conversion Pack use to have prone.

Sith

Postby woner11 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:15 pm

I would like a couruscant street map, and have been considering making one, but different from previous versions in that you could walk around on the lower levels but most of it would be flying around. And yes multiple levels to the city and places where you could park go in and walk around as well.

Captain

Postby lesovikk1 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:17 pm

woner11 wrote:I would like a couruscant street map, and have been considering making one, but different from previous versions in that you could walk around on the lower levels but most of it would be flying around. And yes multiple levels to the city and places where you could park go in and walk around as well.

i think i know what you mean...like from the leaked footage of swbf3? just with out going into space that would be cool

Hoth Battle Chief
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Postby Fluffy_the_ic » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:20 pm

woner11 wrote:I would like a couruscant street map, and have been considering making one, but different from previous versions in that you could walk around on the lower levels but most of it would be flying around. And yes multiple levels to the city and places where you could park go in and walk around as well.

Sounds sorta like DMI...

Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Postby Teancum » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:44 pm

To clear the confusion about prone:

1) In speaking personally with developers it was removed because they had originally replaced it (for quick development) with other things, then found that it "wasn't very useful" so it was not put back in. I don't know if they would have put it back in if they had more time.

2) The Rebel Recon's prone was only an experiment, and did not work correctly. To actually have prone you would have to give up something else -- running, crouching, some sort of "state" that the player is in. And even then there's a lot more involved with it than that. In the end someone will fight me on "well, it's technically possible" to which I reply "yep, it's technically possible to make it look like total crap"

Hopefully that clears the air without stepping on anyone's toes. The only way to do prone and do it correctly would be to actually have the source code to do it, or maybe to create some uber-complex combo, which nobody has dared to do. But in the end it's 100% not worth the headaches.

Sergeant Major
Projects :: Various
Games I'm Playing :: BF1 BF2 JK2 SH
xbox live or psn: No Xbox :(

Postby Ty294 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:30 am

I had an idea of BF1 near-future Earth invasion type maps(s). It would include stuff like a colonies on Mars or military bases on the Moon. The Earth troops would have futuristic Machine guns and cannons but no lasers. Nothing more that ideas right now though.

Jedi High Council
Projects :: I should probably start one...
Games I'm Playing :: TOR AC
xbox live or psn: ShadowScorch88

Postby Twilight_Warrior » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:11 pm

Has anyone watched shows like Gundam or Code Geass?

I think it would be cool to have a giant fighting mech mod similar to these. Not EXACTLY like them (due to copyright reasons), but just sumthing like make vehicles that are supersized human skeletons w/ robotic models, supersize the anims (gun, saber, or both), and have the playable characters as the pilots.

I was going to do this myself, but I'm a beginner who's working on a mod rite now (and I don't feel like I can take two at the same time) and I can't model...

Droid Pilot Assassin

Postby Sky_216 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:32 pm

Just a quick heads up......

which idea do people like more:

A map made of fungal tunnels like the felucia ones from tfu.....

or

A small civilian airfield/base in a forest.

Lieutenant General
Location: Watching your PC over your shoulder. No, the other sholder....

Postby Master_Ben » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:39 pm

^Either. They both sound awesome, but I think the first'd be more original.

Under watchful eyes.

Postby Lord Bardar » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:26 pm

oh boy. i had part of a composition book filled with map ideas, units units and everything. even a little minimap drawn out.

i'll throw the map i remember the best:

Hogwarts castle

Field Commander

Postby YaNkFaN » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:33 pm

Just a quick heads up......

which idea do people like more:

A map made of fungal tunnels like the felucia ones from tfu.....

or

A small civilian airfield/base in a forest.

I think both are good ideas i think given the BF:2 capabilities map 1 would be easier and therefore you could make a better effect with it but if you could pull map 2 off it would probably be better but very difficult...so if it was my decision which it isn't i would choose map 1

PreviousNext

Return to SWBF2 General