The MOD/MAP Idea thread

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

MetalcoreRancor
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: swbf origin
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: The MOD/MAP Idea thread

Post by MetalcoreRancor »

I'd be entirely qualified from a technical standpoint to make all the necessary components of a LOTR conversion mod. But after wasting my money on Conquest, I don't think I'd try that. But if someone tries, I can lend a hand with .combo
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Kingpin wrote:
ggctuk wrote: I'm struggling to find something to fill the role of Imperial Heavy Trooper too ATM. I don't want to use my new Sandtrooper model as that will be for desert planets and the Shock Trooper is obviously taken. I might repurpose one of the old Expanded Universe trooper variants then.
Some EU ideas might be the EVO Trooper, Dark Troopers, Riot Troopers, Shadowtroopers, or maybe this baddie: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Purge_trooper
I'm already using the Dark Trooper for my Brute class. I did have a Purge Trooper but I would need to make a new helmet for it if I were to use it as I was using a helmet ripped from the mobile game Uprising whivh would be a no-no.
rkalo
Private Recruit
Projects :: Naboo Gungan Swamps
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by rkalo »

MetalcoreRancor wrote:I'd be entirely qualified from a technical standpoint to make all the necessary components of a LOTR conversion mod. But after wasting my money on Conquest, I don't think I'd try that. But if someone tries, I can lend a hand with .combo
what do you mean by not wanting to do it because of Conquest?
MetalcoreRancor
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: swbf origin

Post by MetalcoreRancor »

rkalo wrote:
MetalcoreRancor wrote:I'd be entirely qualified from a technical standpoint to make all the necessary components of a LOTR conversion mod. But after wasting my money on Conquest, I don't think I'd try that. But if someone tries, I can lend a hand with .combo
what do you mean by not wanting to do it because of Conquest?
Conquest was a blatant money grab with no intention of making a better Battlefront. The .combo (if it even used that) was very glitchy, the null from the melee didn't work properly, it just wasn't good. And for a game being four times the file size of battlefront 2, I just hated it. Though I felt the same way about the Witchking expac to bfme2
rkalo
Private Recruit
Projects :: Naboo Gungan Swamps
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by rkalo »

I spent 5 minutes playing the Pirates of the Caribbean mod and I think a LotR mod just wouldn't be that fun. A melee-based video game with this engine would basically be a button masher.
MissingTexture
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: SW Resistance Rising

Post by MissingTexture »

rkalo wrote:I spent 5 minutes playing the Pirates of the Caribbean mod and I think a LotR mod just wouldn't be that fun. A melee-based video game with this engine would basically be a button masher.
Pandemic did make LOTR: Conquest which was basically LOTR Battlefront! Only difference is animations IMO :)
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

See above posts.
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

I am not sure if this idea has been thrown around before but has anyone considered doing a mod based off the Indiana Jones Books or movies? It would make sense if it could not be done because of copyright reasons or there really is no certain location that can be made into a map since the books and films seem to not be focused on one particular place for a very long time. I was just curious, again if this has been mentioned or attempted.
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander

MikeTheBeast55 wrote:I am not sure if this idea has been thrown around before but has anyone considered doing a mod based off the Indiana Jones Books or movies? It would make sense if it could not be done because of copyright reasons or there really is no certain location that can be made into a map since the books and films seem to not be focused on one particular place for a very long time. I was just curious, again if this has been mentioned or attempted.
Sereja's Nar Shaddaa features an Indiana Jones mission. I think some of his other maps do, too.
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

commanderawesome wrote:Sereja's Nar Shaddaa features an Indiana Jones mission. I think some of his other maps do, too.
You are right, his Nar Shaddaa Mod does involve an Indiana Jones character. I think I was not clear on my question. Like the Pirates of the Caribbean Mod by The_Legend, could something be made like that for Indiana Jones?
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander

I think the only problem would be the inclusion of er... WWII-era German military.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Post by jedimoose32 »

Why would it be a problem to include Nazis?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

jedimoose32 wrote:Why would it be a problem to include Nazis?
Many users here are German, and the majority of Germans do not look at their history lightly - like, at all, which is a good thing, of course.
Hidden/Spoiler:
I know that's technically political, but come on, is there seriously anyone here who would disagree lol?
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

I think it makes sense. But I think it's not only because of the German Soldiers (During this era) at all. I believe the only big problem would be that one special symbol they used. Although this symbol is much older than the Independence Day. Even older than Europe. But yeah this might be the only, controversial thing at all (In my opinion).
Back to topic what were about the Second and Fourth Movie? If Nazis as opposites would be really banned.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

Marth8880 wrote:
jedimoose32 wrote:Why would it be a problem to include Nazis?
Many users here are German, and the majority of Germans do not look at their history lightly - like, at all, which is a good thing, of course.
Hidden/Spoiler:
I know that's technically political, but come on, is there seriously anyone here who would disagree lol?

pretty sure you allude to an mod that was made here once. Still remember the discussion. But i think you haven't understand the reason.
For me a Indianer jones mod would be fine. I don't think i'd downloade, but that's because i'm a star wars fan and in my star wars game should be only star wars :D I really like Pirates of the Caribbean, but i don't have the mode ;)
The same for your MEU mod, although i always follow your thread, since the graphical work on it is quiet awesome.
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

It is definitely understandable that many of the Germany users would not want to make nazi type units because as Marth said, "Germans do not look at their history lightly." It definitely was a terrible event that happened. As TheLegend says however, maybe if you do not include the Nazi type WW2-Era soldiers, would modders, especially German modders, give an Indiana Jones type mod a go?
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Post by jedimoose32 »

Yeah, I definitely understand that it's a pretty serious topic. I guess whoever ends up making the mod can decide. There are quite a few ways to subtly change things so that it's less clear who the enemy soldiers are, so maybe the creator will do something like that.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

The problem in the past with the WWII mod that was banned was not due to having Nazis, but how they were portrayed. They were glorified in the mod, which they most certainly should not be. If you are making a Indiana Jones mod, that should be perfectly acceptable. Heck, even a WWII mod with German soldiers should be fine; in Star Wars, the Empire are terrible people. I understand that they are fictional, but as long as the Nazis are not glorified (like in previous said WWII mod), it should be fine. I would clarify it with admins, but I doubt they would say otherwise.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Also, I do not believe that you guys should be shy saying the word Nazi. Or Swastika. Or Hitler. They are terrible things in history, but we can only learn from their mistakes by knowing about them, not ignoring them.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

Kingpin wrote:The problem in the past with the WWII mod that was banned was not due to having Nazis, but how they were portrayed. They were glorified in the mod, which they most certainly should not be. If you are making a Indiana Jones mod, that should be perfectly acceptable. Heck, even a WWII mod with German soldiers should be fine; in Star Wars, the Empire are terrible people. I understand that they are fictional, but as long as the Nazis are not glorified (like in previous said WWII mod), it should be fine. I would clarify it with admins, but I doubt they would say otherwise.
THANK YOU!!

i have that feeling that you are the first who understood my point in the discussion about the past WWII mod.

Kingpin wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Also, I do not believe that you guys should be shy saying the word Nazi. Or Swastika. Or Hitler. They are terrible things in history, but we can only learn from their mistakes by knowing about them, not ignoring them.

fully agree, but do not say Lord Volde*** :wink:
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander

You all make some very good points.