The ultimate Tips&Tricks thread!

Post everything from general questions, to modding questions, to map WIPs to releases. (SWBF1 only)

Moderator: Moderators

Gynt_Ryles

Post by Gynt_Ryles »

What you said confused me a little. So SWBF was supposed to have 5 units from the beginning, with the Imp Officer and Clone Commander just being a variation of one of the five classes?
Gynt_Ryles

Post by Gynt_Ryles »

OK, thanks.

So my post isn't spam, I'll post a few basic tips.

-be careful when saving so you don't accidentally overwrite another project
-ckeck for spelling erors; often simple reversals of two letters or incorrect capitalization causes problems
-if you use something new and it doesn't load when you play the map, create a new side; new sides have to be created to include some stuff as simple as a SkyDome object
Darth-Derkie
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Darth-Derkie »

Barriers

When placing barriers on objects, raise the terrain. It will be then much easier to place barriers.

Example:
Darth-Derkie
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by Darth-Derkie »

When not working on a map and you don't want to delete it accidently, change it to "Read only". Or something like that. Then you won't be able to overwrite it.
saberhagen

Post by saberhagen »

How to make side mods work with the shipped Hoth map:

This was discovered by TK-8252 (see http://www.secretsociety.com/forum/disp ... sp?mid=175) but I thought it needed a bit more explanation.

When you replace the shipped Imperial side with a modded version, it will crash the Hoth: Echo Base map. This happens because the map requires a probot object. Although it isn't actually used in the map, it appears that they forgot to take it out completely. The imperial assets with the mod tools don't include an ODF for the probot, but you can easily make one yourself to fix this issue. It doesn't even need to be a functioning unit. You can just make it as a simple prop.

Create a text document and save it as imp_droid_probe.odf in the folder C:\LucasArts\BFBuilder\Assets\Sides\IMP\ODF

It needs to contain the following text:

[GameObjectClass]
ClassLabel = "prop"
GeometryName = "imp_droid_probe.msh"

[Properties]

GeometryName = "imp_droid_probe"

That's all there is to it. Now every time you import the retail IMP side, it will be set up to work with the shipped Hoth map. You can also copy the ODF into an existing mod's side folder.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Downloading this updated "mission.lvl" file, and place it into the "LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront\GameData\Data\_LVL_PC" folder might be easier than that... Indeed, this *.LVL file won't call the stuffs associated to the Probe Droid anymore, and so, you won't have to create a "lure" in brand-new "imp.lvl" Sides...
saberhagen

Post by saberhagen »

Yes, anyone who has downloaded side mods which break the Hoth level should download Leviathan's mission.lvl file to fix it. However, if you're making a new side mod, it's best practice to arrange it so it doesn't break Hoth in the first place.
SWSOE1

Post by SWSOE1 »

Ive been using BFBuilder pro from the link given. Every time the program tries to make a new mod folder, the program says:

An error has occurred on this page

Line: 1573

Char: 9

Error: path not found

Code: 0

URL: file://C:\Documents and Settings\Nick\My Documents\BF\BFBuilderProWIP030605\0 BFBuilder Pro.hta

Do you want to continune running scripts on this page?

I press Yes and the program does not load up the new stuff. It does the same if I press the open the button.

P.S. Im new
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Well, SWSOE1, I would have guessed that you belonged to these "newly-registered" GameToast members, as the Technical Issue you talked of above has been treated several times on this Message-Board, additionally to the fact it is mentioned inside the "Readme.txt" file located into the "BFBuilder" folder. Therefore, basically, all you have to do is to extract Star Wars Battlefront Modification Tools at the root of your Hard-Drive, so as to be sure their "Installation Path" does not contain Special Characters...
SWSOE1

Post by SWSOE1 »

I put my copy of BFBuilder Pro into my C drive. I still get the same message. I got the program from the "Heres what you'll need to mod" forum.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Well, in that case, I would suggest re-naming your current BFBuilder Pro HTML Application from "0 BFBuilder Pro.hta" to "BFBuilder.hta" in order to make sure the directory affiliated to this program does not contain Spaces, as I've already precised earlier...
SWSOE1

Post by SWSOE1 »

I tried that but it did not work, what should be in the folder?
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Alright, as clearly precised in the "Readme.txt" file joined with Star Wars Battlefront Modification Tools, all files contained inside them must be extracted to the "C:\" path, which means the original "BFBuilder.hta" file will be installed in the "C:\BFBuilder" directory. So, all you have to do is simply replace this file by BFBuilder Pro's *.HTA file, without forgetting to rename it from "0 BFBuilder Pro.hta" to "BFBuilder.hta"...
In case the above Steps did not help you that much to work out your current problem, then you would be forced to use the "Star Wars Battlefront World Builder" shipping with SWBF Mod Tools, SWSOE1...
SWSOE1

Post by SWSOE1 »

Thanks, I was trying to mod a unit, what kind of hex editor shoulkd I use. I already used the search function.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : In my opinion, you should perhaps download and install the same Hexadecimal Editor I usually exploit in order to edit Star Wars Battlefront I / II-related files, which is simply called "HHD Software© Free Hex Editor" and can be freely obtained from this URL. On the other hand, many other Specialized Softwares similar to the above one can be found through this SnapFiles Section, such as PSPad, amongst other possible choices, SWSOE1...