Dialog For Releasing Maps

Post everything from general questions, to modding questions, to map WIPs to releases. (SWBF1 only)

Moderator: Moderators

vindictive

Dialog For Releasing Maps

Post by vindictive »

People,
As we wait for the release of the modding tools, I was hoping we could all be on the same page when releasing maps. I'm sure many of us have made and released maps for other games. And I'm sure many new people will be releasing maps. If anybody wants to chime in, please do.

Please beta test your maps. Find someone to test it with. Give it a version number, and update it if needed. It's better for the community to have good maps, then a list of half-Diet Dr. Pepper working maps.

I don't how L/A or P/S takes to importing meshes or textures from other sources or if that is even capable. Please ask the source for permission (if you can find them) and give them credit on a read me file. It's just the right thing to do.

Since there is a just an add-on folder to place everything in, here is an install program that is simple to use. Install Creator will compress you files and make an install program for them. Then anybody can download your mod and install it quick and easy. It will place the files in the correct and folder and you can provide information on your mod for people to read as they install.
http://www.clickteam.com/webftp/files/4/5/icinst.exe

Looking forward to seeing some good eye candy maps,
Vinny
Rends
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

RE: Dialog For Releasing Maps

Post by Rends »

It would be a good idea if someone could fire up a mod website. Not to host the stuff but to organiced it.
So there would be a main internet website and everyone can check for new mods (with dl links to them) and modders can check what names are currently in use.
luck3y

RE: Dialog For Releasing Maps

Post by luck3y »

Don't you need the maps installed on the server to play them in multi? How will those running a dedicated server on linux use a windows installer? :(
vindictive

Post by vindictive »

[quote]Installing maps requires only copying the mod folder to the add on directory. No installer is needed. When fans distribute maps they can zip the folder as is and users can unzip it to the add on folder. That's all there is to it.[/quote]

I know what your saying Fred. But some people aren't as computer savy. Some people just know to press the shortcut icon on their desktop and play. It's just this installer puts the files right into the add on folder. If people want to use it, it would be helper, and if they don't, oh well.

8) Vinny
Riley75

Post by Riley75 »

It would be a good idea if someone could fire up a mod website. Not to host the stuff but to organiced it.
I might be able to do something like that. Just a quick site where people can register, indicate which 3-letter code they want, and post their mods with a link to wherever they host it.

Are we restricted to 3 letters on the front? Like say I wanted to have a group of maps on Bespin, another on Hoth, etc. -- I might want to name them rrrbes1, rrrbes2, rrrhot1, rrrhot2, and so forth.
*edit* Hmm I just re-read your last post here, fred, and I *think* you answered the question about 3 letters...? I'll try some things out over the next short while and see, regardless.